If I’ve Relapsed Several Times, Should I Try Again?

Relapsing after any period of sobriety can really take a toll on you. It’s a bummer and there’s probably a million reasons why it could have happened. Maybe you weren’t ready, maybe you hadn’t learned enough about effective coping skills, maybe life just got the best of you and in a moment of weakness, you relapsed. The why’s aren’t as important as your reaction to your relapse. Will you pick yourself back up and keep going? Or will you let addiction slide back into your life and rule your world once more?

This is a question only you can answer. If you’ve relapsed several times before and you’re asking yourself if you should try again, my guess is that you want to try recovery again but you’re afraid of failure. Yes, a cycle of sobriety and repeat relapse can be taxing on your self-confidence but it’s not the be all end all. 

If trying again is on your mind, you should absolutely, whole-heartedly go for it. It may take you 5 more tries or it may take you just one. The great thing about recovery is that it’s not just going to be smooth sailing in the right direction the whole way, it’s a bumpy and tumultuous road sometimes. You might take a step backward here or there but the important thing is that you generally move in the forward direction over the long haul. 

What you don’t want to do is fall victim to the revolving door syndrome, as it’s sometimes called. If you find yourself in a cycle of repeated sobriety and relapse, try asking yourself why it keeps happening. Something has to give, maybe you need a long program, a more structured program, or longer sober living and aftercare services. Maybe you just haven’t found your inner motivation to keep you going for the long haul. Whatever it is that you’re lacking, take the steps to find it, you’ll be glad you did. 

Reference
N.D. “Recover From Addiction After Repeated Relapse”. Alcohol Rehab. (website). 2017

• 4 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • Relapsing is quite common, especially in early recovery. If you relapse, get right back up and try again and again and again..... maybe change things up... try a different approach to your recovery. some may need face to face support.... others may need counseling, a 12 step group, something like this online forum, rehab, etc. there are so many paths to recovery....

just keep trying! and please don't be afraid to reach out for help.... no shame in this... at all. people want to help and can...
  • Sobriety is a learned behavior and it can take a lot of practice before you master it. If you relapse, don't give up. Relapse is part of the disease of addiction. It doesn't make you a failure or a bad person. It just means you're human.
  • Keep trying because no matter how many times it takes, the final outcome of staying in Recovery is success! Life is precious and choosing to change your life by getting clean will be the best choice you’ve made. I am happier, healthier & more social when I’m clean so I will continue to do it one day at a time until i can say it was a success.
  • Never give up. Keep trying to recover from the addiction. In my humble opinion, relapse is just part of the recovering process towards a full recovery.

It's like a toddler who just starts learning how to walk and keep failing till the toddler successfully manages to walk. Can you imagine the toddler stops trying after failing for a few attempts?

That's why you should continue to strive for recovery. Make sobriety your new why and will to live, if not for yourself, at least for your family and friends. Who knows you might be able to make a difference in someone's life after you quit drugs right?