Pros and Cons of Inpatient Treatment

The road to recovery doesn’t have to be full of mystery, sometimes you just need the right push in the right direction to jumpstart your recovery and get you on that path to better health. For some, that jumpstart will come in the form of inpatient treatment. Here’s a few pros and cons to help you decide if inpatient treatment is right for you.

Pros:

-          Around the clock care and supervision via a trained support staff offers 24-hour guidance in the early days of recovery, when you need it most.
-          Sense of community, you’ll be residing with a group of individuals who are going through the same battle as you are.
-          The level of care in inpatient settings is concentrated, for those deep into addiction or who’ve tried other programs without improvement may need this intense level of care to finally beat addiction.
-          The inpatient setting allows for a structured environment to help you get through the toughest times when risk for relapse, cravings, and struggles are the highest. Much of your day will be devoted to recovery which leaves less time for you to experience relapse.

Cons:

-          Some people find the “loss of freedom” to come and go or do whatever you want through out the day off-putting.
-          Because this setting is to help a group of people, it’s run efficiently to maximize everyone’s care, meaning your day will be planned out from the time you get up to the times you eat and attend therapies.
-          Although you’ll be away from the daily distractions of your home life, you’ll need to make arrangements for those obligations like childcare, paying bills while you’re away, time off from work, etc.
-          Sometimes it is not covered by insurance if you’re insurance believes you could get the same benefit from outpatient care instead.

There are many reasons why inpatient care may or may not be the right fit for you. Do your research and please don’t give up an opportunity because some of the stipulations of care may not be ideal for you. Give yourself the chance to be outside your comfort zone and make the leap into recovery!

Reference
Camp, B. “5 Pros & Cons of Inpatient vs. Outpatient Rehab Centers”. Pathways. (website). August 2014
  • 18 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • This is good information. Thanks for laying out some of the pros and cons of inpatient treatment.
  • Each person should weigh out the pros and cons of treatment... inpatient or outpatient... also doing some research or asking questions... rehabs do help... and sometimes it's necessary to give it a go... even if you've already "been there, done that".
  • You can't do what you want all day long. There is structure. You have to think about others. Real life continues on the outside. The insurance industry sucks.

These are cons and should stop someone from going to rehab?
  • My son is suppose to go to inpatient rehab next week. It is court appointed though, so I'm afraid it won't do any good. He says it won't help. I don't think he has accepted he has a drug problem and sure doesn't want to stop using.....does it even have a chance of helping him?
  • @grievingmom... Inpatient rehab definitely has a better chance of succeeding if the person goes into it wanting to get help. That said, I still think there's a good chance that at least some of what your son will be exposed to might resonate with him. Some of it might even "stick." Rehab is a tricky thing. I don't know a lot of people who go to rehab one time and get and stay clean. From my experience, it seems like it takes most people multiple trips to rehab before everything starts making sense and clicking with them. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

At the very least, know that your son will be in a safe place while he is in rehab. And he will be clean. So that's a good start. If he comes out of rehab with a little more knowledge and understanding of addiction than he went in with, that's a good thing.

I'll keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there and don't forget to take good care of yourself.
  • @DeanD Thank you so much for responding and being encouraging. I'm believing that he will get something out of it and it will help him.
  • Happy to do it, @grievingmom. You are not alone, my friend.
  • @grievingmom i tend to think deep down those who are addicted want to NOT be addicted...or rather, NOT be in pain. sometimes going to rehab, even if mandated, can cause them to realize there is a better way. there is a way to live life free from the need to drink or drug...

i pray this happens for your son!
  • Great point, @dominica. And I agree with you 100 percent. I firmly believe that NOBODY decides that they WANT to be an addict. And if someone IS an addict, I don't think they say to themselves, "Hey, this is great! I'm gonna keep doing this forever!" It's a disease. And any exposure to things that may get them thinking about recovery is a good thing.
  • I've fought the whole idea of inpatient, simply because I didn't want to or couldn't (denial) accept defeat. The thought of being confined just gives me anxiety. But I've hit rock bottom and realize that in order for me to make some positive changes, I am going to have to do things that are really uncomfortable for me. I'm tired and exhausted. My family is all but ready to tell me to "eff off". I'm scared, I'm nervous, I'm anxiety ridden. But my need for change is greater than the fear of change. Probably the hardest part is waiting 2 weeks until a bed opens up. I am just biding my time between forums, online meetings and blogging. I scare myself and I hope in patient works for me.
  • @bigolmess... Welcome to the community, my friend. I'm sorry to hear that you've hit rock bottom, but I'm happy that you have decided to go to treatment. The fact that the thought of it makes you uncomfortable, but you're still willing to go, shows me that you're committed. That 2-week wait won't be easy. Yes, you're scared, nervous, and full of anxiety. But that's normal. Just take things a day at a time. And know that better things lie ahead for you.

We are here to offer you support, help, advice, or just a place to vent. Not only for the 2 weeks leading up to your inpatient treatment, but afterwards as well. You can lean on us anytime.

I'm proud of you for making the decision to seek help. And I am sending you positive, healing vibes...and tons of hope and encouragement.
  • I think in patient care is the best route to go for anyone who has been habitually drinking or drugging for long periods of time. Especially with alcohol the physical withdrawl symptoms can best be handled by medical professionals.

I understand what people may be scared to go in or feel it's unnecessary but really, when your health is on the line it's better to do it the right way. I share a little more about this in my book - #LIONSOBER if anyone is interested. https://amzn.to/2mkbFeN
  • I do know for me. This path of being an alcoholic is not one I would have if chosen for myself. I have been very honest with my children about it from the get go. My fears for them my struggle. They have been very supportive and know how to set boundaries. I thank God for his intervention and giving them this maturity. That was a prayer I have always had for them. That the cup of addiction passes over them. And that they are emotionally healthy. I am looking at different treatment options I would like to do Celebrate Recovery with AA and private counseling. However after looking at the cost of private counseling that has to be scrapped. We just do not have that type of money. I am looking at incorporating yoga meditation and a 12 step program along with a nutrition plan. Staying away from processed sugar/gluten. I will be checking with my church to see if they have counseling there.
  • @Legs1331... All of the things you mentioned sound like good ideas. Definitely check with your church to see if they have counseling. Or maybe check with a local college or university to see if they might have some grad students in the psychology program who might be able to help you. Just a thought.

I'm glad your children are supportive of you, too!
  • GreAt idea about the college
  • @Legs1331... Every once in a while, I have a good idea! ;)