Recovery Has to be Number One

Addiction recovery requires a lot of effort and work. Recovery is yours and you need to make your recovery a priority, because that it is the only way to achieve success. It will require lifestyle changes and modifications that will take some getting used to, but after a while, they will become your new normal. You need to start your recovery off right instead of just winging it, in order to set yourself up for success.

Being successful is going to require having the tools you need to live a sober life successfully. You have to put your addiction recovery first, above everything else. It must always be at the forefront of your mind, and you’ll build your other actions around it. Have a solid support system in place and it is a wise idea to not enter into any romantic relationships for at least a year after getting clean as they are too distracting.

Surround yourself with the right people. If you go right back to hanging out with old friends who use, your chances of relapse are much higher. Instead, surround yourself with people who you aspire to be like. Ideally, people with over a year of sober time who can help to guide you and give you solid advice. Absorb yourself in good behaviors. Get a job or go back to school and be responsible for your money.

Recovery is maybe one of the toughest things you will ever encounter but it is possible as long as you always make it your first priority. Take things day by day and keep your goal where you can see it and you will do fantastic.

Reference: https://wellnessretreatrecovery.com/putting-addiction-recovery-first/
  • 3 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • This is so true. Recovery has to be at the very top of your priority list. Always. Once you let it slip out of the number one spot, your chances of success start to diminish greatly. Complacency is recovery's enemy and addiction's best friend.
  • I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. This is generally preached in rehabs and AA groups but it could not be further from the truth.

One very famous celebrity who got sober said she didn't use because she didn't want to let God down. She puts God first.

And in puttin God first you are putting your future first. You MUST have a compelling future. A life where sobriety is the top priority is not very compelling. Forget this garbage. Don't get real get smart. Get a compelling future (hopefully with God).

Peace+

Parthenon1
  • Believe me, what got me sober was the compelling future and that's what keeps my from using. Knowing that I want what's in my heart to achieve. Not sobriety itself.