Qigong may help in recovery

Qigong is a Chinese practice that uses focused breathing and slow movements that help calm the mind and body. Some call it a "moving meditation".

How many of us can relate to the mind that races with thoughts? The over-stimulated nervous system with anxiety buzzing through it?

Can a simple 10 minute Qigong practice each day help?

Research says it can, and the Chinese have long been practicing Qigong for better relaxation.

RESEARCH

In one study published in Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine in 2002, researchers used qigong for those detoxing from heroin. They found that the group that practiced qigong regularly experienced less withdrawal symptoms than those who went the normal route of using detox drugs.

That's pretty remarkable!

Another study in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine in 2013 (done at Harvard) studied cocaine addicts... Gave one group 3-6 qigong sessions over two weeks, and the other group a sham session. The Qigong group experienced less cravings and less depressive symptoms.

It's promising, right?

I've done Qigong. It's easy, and there are plenty of free YOUTUBE videos on it. Even 5 or 10 minutes a day can help. I find it helpful in the evening, to relax after a day of work....

To learn more, see

National Qigong Association (NQA) (nqa.org)
Qigong Institute (qigonginstitute.org)

Have you tried it? What do you think?
  • 2 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • Hello, I haven't tried it but I have wanted to. I have watched several Youtube videos demonstrating it. It looks very calming and grounding.
  • @Belles I enjoy it when I do it. I've learned some of the moves, and enjoy doing them outside. it all reminds me to SLOW DOWN...and stay grounded... i can get so caught up in the rush and in my head, that i need to slow the pace, breathe, come back to center.

if you try it, let me know what you think.