Alcohol is a trap!

I think many people understand that alcohol does something in the brain that makes them feel a hit of euphoria...or happy... or whatever you want to call it (free, tipsy, giddy, laid back, etc.)

and alcohol does do something in the brain! it affects the cerebellum, limbic system, and cerebral cortex (among other parts).

primarily two neurotransmitters are released when you drink: serotonin and endorphins. you might wonder why this is a bad thing..

why is it so bad to want to get a "hit" of "happy chemicals?"

well, this is the thing. it's cool to want to be happy..to feel that buzz and feel a bit of euphoria... but not at the risk of WHAT IT DOES TO YOUR BRAIN!

see, when you drink, your brain tries to make some sense out of the rush of neurotransmitters that just got released... it's like "what the heck? i didn't do that!!!" and it kinda starts freaking out...

then, it tries to recompensate...to get some sort of control or balance restored... now, once in a blue moon this might not be a big deal, but those that drink regularly...they are affected because the brain stays in confusion, the body develops a tolerance for alcohol (b/c you have to drink more now to feel that feelings of "buzzzzzzzzzzzzz' you like, and the brain gets used to the artificial stimulation of those chemicals, so when you try to "feel happy" sober, you can't. you become depressed....the things you used to do that brought feelings of happiness don't bring them anymore...

so you drink to "feel" something...

it's a trap. (my opinion)
  • 6 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • Its a trap. AND It sucks big ole rotten ostrich eggs!! If one can handle it. Great. It just does not agree with me. lol
  • Completely agree. It's a death trap.
  • @Tommy hey you!!! good to hear from you! true there are some that can handle it sometimes, don't crave it or cope with it, or go off the deep end with it.

but FAR too many go down the slippery road to dependence hell....and MANY suffer in silence.... try to quit on their own, don't last long or keep relapsing, and feel like failures.

if you're reading this, and you've tried to quit but can't, YOU'RE NOT A FAILURE!! keep trying..do whatever it takes. you might have to reach out for face-to-face help...and that might hurt your ego... but wouldn't you rather put a dent in the ego than go on to let booze control your life? or stay miserable?

research the many ways to "recover" from alcohol dependence... try one, try them all, but keep going...keep trying...keep hope!!

feel free to share your story here in the forum. we are here to listen and support you however we can!
  • Hi I'm new to these forums and I've been trying to get help with my alcoholism...every comment has been very helpful to me. I just need someone to talk too that will make this road to recovery less painful and lonely
  • @Olderme

Hey there and welcome to the Forum. I'm glad that the threads are helping you and that you want to get help for alcoholism. Recovery can be a tough road and sometimes a lonely road as well, i'm really glad that you're here reaching out for support. There's a great group of people here who will welcome you with open arms, and you won't have to Journey alone.

Feel free to share more of your story here, as we'd love to know more about you. Of course, some of us will share our insight and advice and you are free to take what can help you and leave what you feel can't. There's no one-size-fits-all it comes to recovery, so it's you navigating this path seeing what might work for you. It will take some hard-ass work; that's a given. But the good news is that there is treatment for alcoholism in a variety of ways, and you're on this journey to find out what will work for you. The road might be zigzagging and up and down some, so be persistent and committed. And just know that will be here for you no matter what.

Hope to keep hearing from you and know that alcoholism is a monster that doesn't have to keep winning. One day at a time or one minute at a time, embrace this recovery Journey mind, body, spirit. We are rooting for you all the way!
  • Welcome to the community, @Olderme. I'm glad you found us and have found the posts here helpful. That's what this forum is all about. Helping others! I'm so proud of you for wanting to get help for your alcoholism, too. You've taken a brave new step by reaching out to us.

You can talk to us and we will listen, always without judgment. If I were you, when you're ready, I would start a new thread and tell us a little bit more about your situation. That way your story will be front and center and others can read it and comment on it.

I'm sending you lots of positive, sober vibes, along with tons of encouragement and hope. You can kick alcohol's butt. I know you can. And we will be happy to accompany you on your journey if you'd like.

Hope to hear more from you in the not-too-distant future! :)