Are You Practicing Self-Love in Your Recovery?

Whether you lean towards a strictly clinical mindset about recovery or you’ve fallen into a more holistic approach, there is one thing that can be agreed on – self-love. Self-love is good for you, it’s good for me, it’s good for everybody – addiction or no addiction. So, if it’s such a good and seemingly easy thing to do, why then is it so difficult to do and be mindful of?

Well, for starters, it’s probably because each of us is our own worst critic! How many times have you shot down a compliment, thought you should have done better, been better, or handled a situation differently? Let’s be honest, it probably happens more often than you’d like to admit!

So, practicing self-love doesn’t have to be hard. You can start by being more mindful, more aware. Before you try to change or add in new behaviors to your routine, you’ve got to know where you stand! If you constantly hear yourself dodging compliments, then start there. The next time someone compliments you in any way, say this, “Thank you.”

That’s it, no more shutting it down, you deserve every compliment you are given! If your weakness is self-confidence and you’re the one tearing you down, start there. Start by replacing negative thoughts with positive ones. Instead of telling yourself everything you didn’t do right or didn’t do well enough, start acknowledging all the things you have done right and the things you have accomplished.

Accomplishments don’t have to be monumental. Getting up each day and saying something positive to yourself to start the day off right is an accomplishment. Give it a whirl, we’re sure that self-love will have you feeling brighter and more solidified in your recovery than ever.

Reference
N.D. “10 Simple Ways to Practice Self-Love in Sobriety”. Holistic Recovery Centers. (website). 2018
  • 3 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • we live in a negative world
  • Thank you very much for the article. Self love is something I am really very terrible at and truly did not know how simple it can be for starting. It always seemed to be a "deep" psychologically thing rather than something as simple as start by acknowledging compliments.
  • @Legs1331... It can take some time to get good at self-love. Trust me. I know. Just try to do simple things that make you feel better. The more you do it, the better you get at it. And, eventually, it will become a habit.

Love yourself. You deserve it! <3