Who has been to SMART Recovery meeting?

hey everyone! i've been meaning to attend a SMART Recovery meeting in my community so i can see what they are like...

if you have attended a meeting, care to share how it was? what you liked? didn't like?
  • 2 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • @dominica I attend a couple and while they were OK, it lacked some kind of spark for me. I'm not a huge fan of some of the zealousness and cult-like adherence to certain principles that come out of certain 12-step group rooms...but I think in a lot of cases, that's what makes it work for that population.
    The meetings I attended were actually more like discussion groups of addressing addiction problems and coming up with solutions and alternatives. It was good, but it was common sense. The leader seemed tired as did most of the attendees.
    The best 12-step meetings I went to left me feeling refreshed and invigorated. I loved talking to people outside after the meeting. The worst 12-step meetings felt like an insulting, frustrating waste of my time. SMART was somewhere in the middle. It was a calm, measured approach to addiction. I left feeling no real emotion and I think that's even worse than feeling negative emotions in many cases.
    I'd urge anyone to check it out, though. I have a small sample size of a particular group from about three years ago. It could just be the thing that helps some people.
  • @JoshuaShea wow, thank you so much for your input. that helps a lot. i will comment if and when i do attend one....