Self-Awareness & Mindfulness

https://positivepsychologyprogram.com/self-awareness-matters-how-you-can-be-more-self-aware/
This article reminded me of some work I let fall to the wayside.
The Ted Talk by Nobel laureate Daniel Kahneman, which is on the page was a bit of a side-track for me. Later, I'll research for more of his videos and articles.

Mindfulness is so important and a lot of exhausting work. Journal writing is one of the best tools I've used for practicing mindfulness. There are dream, eating, exercising, events, feelings, memories and goal journals, just to name a few. If done religiously enough, one will see patterns and connections they never considered. Belief systems that need reevaluating might be brought to light. Learning self-compassion and self-forgiveness is another positive development.

I've had occasional glimpses of self-compassion when aware of inner conversations that led to me saying out loud, "Give yourself a break!"
It helps me to talk out loud when responding to my inner conversations. It's the only way I've found so far to make myself heard over all the inner noise. I try not to focus on them in public but ear buds & a cell phone are good props. ;)
Note taking apps or writing myself an email has been useful. OneNote is my new go to, it keeps things more organized. Keeping the bedside journal and pen ready are great if you need to write down a dream. I've rarely been able to remember one later no matter how powerful and unforgettable it seemed at the time.
I find the saying, "It's okay to talk to yourself as long as you don't answer yourself." antiquated. Sometimes, you're the only one with the answers.
I know it sounds "crazy". I'm okay with crazy, it's part of my charm. I guess that's an example of self-acceptance. :)

Mindfulness & self-awareness are not without their pitfalls. Repressed traumas can unexpectedly reveal themselves in ways that boarder on psychosis, resulting in taking a dive off the cliff of sobriety.
I'll recant Daniel Kahneman's Ted Talk being a side-track. I find what he said about the experiencing self and the remembering self in retrospect, enlightening.

Perhaps traumatic experiences, especially those repressed or fragmented keep us from remembering good things. There are exceptions but even in severely dysfunctional family units such as my own, there were good moments. Maybe doing some work to recall some good times instead of chiseling at the buried traumas will provide some balance.

I would love to hear what tools others found helpful for practicing self-awareness & mindfulness.