Should Schools Teach about Prescription Drug Abuse Risks?

A new bill was signed into law very recently, in Ohio, which will require that schools teach children about the dangers of prescription drugs. Statistics show that around 20 percent of high school students misuse painkillers without a prescription. Further, the majority of young people who become addicted to heroin started first with prescription painkillers.

Heroin users are becoming younger and younger and it is clear they just don’t get the dangers involved. The idea behind the new law is to get young people talking about this and create a buzz about how deadly this really is. There will also be efforts to bring teachers, schools, parents and students together on this while generating healthy conversations.

Schools across the country are currently using curriculum that includes dangers of illicit drugs, alcohol and tobacco abuse, sexual education, food values, personal safety, assault prevention, dating violence, and bullying, so prescription drug abuse clearly should be added on a nationwide level.

Studies indicate that the chances of kids using drugs decreases by half when the parents talk to their children about drugs and keep an open line of communication. Most drug free kids give credit to their parents for them choosing to say no to drugs. This clearly reveals that kids are listening so you have to do something very effective while they are.

Start teaching your children early on, how to make good decisions and how to not feel bad for saying no. Once you do this and then educate them about the dangers of these very drugs, anything is possible.
  • 4 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • I think it's a reasonably good idea. Lots of people, including adults, believe that because some medication is prescribed and is usually prescribed in small doses that it must mean that those substances are relatively safe to use. Obviously, that isn't the case. Some people become reliant on prescribed medications for the rest of their lives which they may not realize could cause other medical problems long-term. If they do develop medical problems as a result, they'll probably just be prescribed another medication to deal with it. So, yes, I think the dangers of prescription drugs is a relevant matter of education.
  • I think it is just advisable for schools to teach about Prescription Drug Abuse. Aside from home a school is the second home of every children that should teach and educate them the good and bad things in life. Aside from parents the teachers who acts as their second guardians should teach them the dangers of drugs, alcohol, sex etc which might lead them to the wrong path of life. Let them be aware of the effects of these things and as well about prescription drugs by including in the school curriculum. It will be a great success for the schools if the children will be enlightened and learned how to make good decisions for themselves in their life.
  • I do think it is wise for schools to teach kids about things like this. Certain education you just can't trust kids will get at home, this is the same for sex ed. 

But I do remember a story of my neighbor's when I lived down south - she said a pharmacist came to her grade 3 kid's class and was talking about the profession I guess. Then when it was over she gave all the kids pill bottles filled with jellybeans. Crazy!!
  • Yes, I think it is a very good idea because by doing that, children will be armed with the knowledge that will prevent them not only from intentional abuse but also from unintentional abuse of prescription drugs.

I don't know if there is any arguments against teaching this to kids. I guess it is possible that some parents might think that teaching kids this will make them learn about drugs and use them (the same arguments against sex education) but I think they are in the minority.