New Painkiller Is More Powerful Than Morphine Without the Side Effects

This almost sounds too good to be true. From the Newsweek article:

"A new chemical compound might pave the way for a new option in the fight against the opioid crisis.

Researchers developed an experimental painkiller option that’s as powerful than morphine at a dose that’s 100 times smaller. Published Wednesday in Science Translational Medicine, the study found that the compound, called AT-121, doesn’t have the same side effects as more dangerous painkillers."

You can read the entire article at this link:

https://www.newsweek.com/new-painkiller-powerful-morphine-sideeffect-1097960

Apparently, this "new compound also was effective at blocking abuse potential of prescription opioids, much like buprenorphine does for heroin," so there's hope it could be used to treat both pain and opioid abuse.
  • 4 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • @DeanD Wow! That was a very interesting article. Wouldn't it be great if it turns out that new drug for pain works like they hope it does. ? Have you ever heard of Vivitrol? I guess it is something that was first given to someone who struggles with alcoholism to curb cravings, etc. , but now they discovered it also helps people with opiate addiction. It would be great if they could develop something even better. Thanks for the info.
  • Hopefully it is positive as it seems... fentanyl once was thought to be a replacement painkiller was it not?
  • @blueorchid... Could be. But I don't think anyone ever said fentanyl didn't have any dangerous side effect. That's the thing that gives me the most hope for this new painkiller.
  • Very true @DeanD and I too will hope the same