Reflecting (actually obsessing) on the past

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would begin a new thread asking for helpful suggestions re: my constantly thinking about the past and the things I did and said while drinking. I am on my 11th day of not drinking, keeping myself busy and working on restoring my health.

Today was a bit overwhelming. I began thinking of things I did and said while drinking. The feelings of embarrassment and shame started bubbling up. I absolutely despise this feeling!!! I am playing things on a loop in my brain.

On the flip side, this is what keeps me from opening up the wine fridge for a "taste" of wine. The pretty bottles can stay right there.

I am trying to reconcile all of these feelings and keep on track. Are these moments of reflection healthy?

Liz27
  • 7 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • @Liz27 hey there. congrats on now 11 days sober! that's wonderful!!!

i think some thoughts about the past might be normal.... but maybe try to forgive yourself... and then choose to let go of those thoughts. like make a conscious decision to not dwell on them. if they come up, immediately refocus on something different. maybe make some affirmations and recite them to break this pattern.

a daily practice of meditation or silence for a few minutes can help slow that mind down some... (those incessant thoughts)...

cut yourself some slack.... it's all in the past... and now you have a wonderful opportunity to move forward with a clean slate.... :) when we know better, we do better ;)
  • Happy Wednesday, Everyone.

A quick check in. I am doing well. My headaches have gone away and I was able to go to dinner with my husband and not order a cocktail (that is a big deal for me!).

I am sleeping really well. My workouts are feeling more productive. And @dominica, I am just letting past guilt come and go.

Here is to a good day!

Liz27
  • @Liz27 Hey there. Thank you for the update. I'm so glad your headaches have gone away that you're doing well. Kudos for passing up on the alcohol at dinner! Sounds like things are going really well for you and I'm so happy to hear this! Life definitely better when we're sleeping well right?

Super super proud of you!
  • So glad to hear you're doing well, @Liz27! And I bet you feel sooo much better without the headaches, right? Keep doing what you're doing. You're kicking ass and I'm proud of you!! :)
  • Thank you @DeanD ! It isn't easy, but I am doing it!
    Here's to another day :)
    Liz27
  • That's great that you have been able to walk past the wine fridge for 11 days, that shows real strength.
    If you are able to forgive those people who have hurt you, then you will come to understand how you can also be forgiven. I think the hardest person to forgive is yourself, but it can be done over time.
    Keep up the good work.
  • @EricH thank you for sharing! Excellent insight!