Unsolvable problems

How do I deal with permanent, deeply painful problems while staying sober? There's no solution for these, and thanks to a difficult day coming up I'm in so much pain now that it feels more like grieving. I always ran before, and I'd give anything to run now except for the certain knowledge that it won't help.

I guess I thought sobriety would help me solve the problems I was trying to avoid. I didn't stop to think there are some problems I can't solve no matter how sober I am. What do people do with this stuff in recovery?
  • 2 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • @NXL... My best advice for you? Therapy. I'm a firm believer that therapy can help anyone deal with the deeply painful baggage we all carry around with us. I also believe that therapy can help us solve some problems we think are unsolvable. Granted, I didn't always feel this way. In fact, for a long time I was highly skeptical about therapy. How could talking to someone about my problems make things better for me??? I thought it was a bunch of bullsh*t. But then I got to a point in my life where things became incredibly difficult for me. At that point, I figured I had nothing to lose by giving therapy a shot. So I did. And it made a huge difference in my life. In fact, I'm pretty sure my therapist saved my life when I was in my darkest place.

I think you should consider giving it a try.
  • @NXL . Hello and welcome. I'm sorry that you're struggling with so much emotional pain. I agree with Dean that going to a good therapist for a while can be quite helpful. It's a great first start. I'm glad that you see that by drinking you would not be able to really get to those wounds and begin to heal them. That truth alone has kept me from drinking to numb my pain many times throughout life. I also knew that I just wanted to feel happy for no reason, and I knew that if I were to drown my pain with liquor, I"d never get there.

Some people opt for a spiritual journey along with therapy. This may work for you as well. It's something to think about. It's going to take work no matter what path you choose. But if you're willing, I do believe that you'll make some progress. And just know that we're here anytime for you