Alcohol promised me so much

I read an article today that was entitled "5 Promises Alcohol Made Me", which all turned out to be lies by the way.

If there's one thing I've learned about alcohol over the years by my own drinking habits and observing others, is that alcohol can be quite slick and sly, deceiving even those with the highest IQs.... the young, the old, and everyone in between.

I remember the times when alcohol clearly lied to me. Telling me that I'd be more popular or happier. But I always ended up the next morning feeling crappy about myself. I also remember turning to alcohol during a dark time because it promised me an escape from horrible emotions. And while, sure, it numbed me temporarily, when I sobered up there I was once again in an even darker, deeper emotional hole.

What has alcohol promised you before? More friends? More exciting times? Better sleep?

In what ways do you think alcohol deceives people the most?

To read the full story, "5 Promises Alcohol Made Me", go here!

https://www.recovery.org/5-promises-alcohol-made-me-hint-they-were-all-lies/
  • 8 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • That's a really good article, @dominica. Thanks for sharing.

I could really relate to "Promise #5 – Lasting Emotional Relief." I was never what I would consider a heavy drinker, but when my son's battle with addiction first reared its ugly head, I found myself turning to alcohol more often to help numb my the negative things I was feeling. (The irony of that is not lost on me.) It got to a point where I was drinking more and more just to escape what was happening in my world. I wanted emotional relief, and I was self-medicating with alcohol in order to find it.

But I didn't find it. All I found was a foggy mind and bad headaches. And after the headache went away, my son's problems were still there. Alcohol was just a temporary crutch.

I'm so grateful for the family therapist at my son's rehab who told me to quit drinking in order to be the change I wanted to see in my son. She told me that on September 9, 2008. And the next day, I quit drinking. It's been more than 10 years now, and my life is much better without alcohol in it. My son still has problems. I still have problems. But I'm dealing with them without having to rely on a dangerous crutch.

Thanks again for sharing that article!
  • Thank you for sharing this article @dominica.

I am going through a tough time with my aging black lab, Connor. He is 10 and I have had him since he was 8 weeks old.

I mention this tough time because in the past, I would try and numb myself with alcohol.

As painful as it is, I am feeling so many emotions and I cry everyday for the inevitable loss of my fur baby. I need to stay strong and sober for the sleepless nights when he needs help getting up.

Life doesn't feel all that great right now.

Liz27
  • Yeah, alcohol promised me those 5 things, with the same sort of results. It also promised me social acceptance to go along with the awesome personality it gave me. Alcohol was going to be that common bond that I could share with everyone and cover up all my nerdisms. I'd be that cool guy sipping from a flask, or impressing people with my taste in wine, or something. Then we could have a good time together with my awesome personality, also brought to me by alcohol.

But, the reality is I only really got that great personality after I stopped being afraid of what I would do next, or getting caught, or hurt. I got it after I got the confidence from beating my alcoholism. I got it after I stopped listening to the lies. The nerdism, well, that is always going to be there. But hey, I'm ok with that.
  • @Liz27 I'm sorry that your dog is struggling right now. I know how close one can become with their pet. I'm super glad to hear that you are not trying to dull your emotions with alcohol. It's okay to have emotions and to cry. It's okay to grieve or have fear. When we can allow ourselves to feel these emotions and not try to ignore them or stuff them or medicate them, we're more able to allow a natural healing to occur overtime. And we bypass hangovers, guilt, shame, and more.

This is what you're doing and that's wonderful. I know life doesn't feel all that great right now, and I'm sorry about that. I'm glad that you can come here and lean on us. We're definitely here for you and sending you and Connor a bunch of love and hugs.
  • @DeanD I think that is wonderful that you stopped drinking completely. Be the change you wish to see in your son. That is brilliant!! :)
  • @Leaker I'm super glad that you realize all the ways that alcohol was lying to you. And yes it's definitely okay to be uniquely you. I think authenticity is very cool.
  • @Liz27... I'm sending healing energy in Connor's direction. I'm sorry to hear that he's struggling. Pets are like part of the family, so when they hurt, we hurt. But I'm proud of you for not trying to numb your emotions with alcohol. Being sober isn't always easy. Living life on life's terms isn't always easy, either. We hurt. We cry. We suffer. But, in the long run, it's way better than using alcohol as a temporary crutch.

Take good care of your sweet boy. He's so lucky to have you in his life.
  • @Leaker... I love the authenticity that sobriety brings. I'm so glad you've found that. And I'm so glad you're here amongst us. :)