The Importance of Establishing a Routine

If you’ve ever heard of or read anything about “habits of successful people” you’re probably familiar that one of the habits you’ll see come up time and time again in any of the collection of habits is establishing a routine. Whether it’s people who are raking in millions through entrepreneurship or it’s just regular people like you and me who at the very least are successful in maintaining our recoveries, one thing is certain. And that’s that we’re all creatures of habit and routines help us maximize our day, be confident in our surroundings, and go forth into the world with our best foot forward.

So, if you’re in recovery and you’re wondering how you can spice up your recovery and really get a groove going, think about how your day flows. Maybe even grab a notebook and write down what you do every single day for two weeks. Try not to over think this. Don’t specifically plan for anything out of the normal, just go about your days like you normally would and see what you find yourself doing. Over the course of two weeks, you might see some patterns emerge, maybe there are positive things and maybe there are some negatives.

Use this as your frame work to build yourself a realistic, logical routine, that you can stick to and build on as time passes. If you normally wake up at 9:30 am, no need to start setting your alarm for that 5:00 yoga class. Start by going to bed and getting up at the same time every day, this should help you tremendously. If you’re not happy with sleep and wake times, try moving them back or up in 15 minutes increments every few days.

Once you’re getting enough regular sleep, make sure you’re spending enough time outdoors, soaking up that vitamin D and getting your body moving. You should aim to have 30 minutes of physical activity per day. Make sure you’re nourishing your body with plenty of water and good eats. The rest will fill itself in naturally but don’t forget to make time for things you enjoy regularly, you’ll thank yourself later.

Reference
N.D. “Wellness Strategies”. Choices in Recovery. (website). 2019
  • 2 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • I completely agree with this. I've always had a hard time with routines, even before I was an addict. In my second and final rehabilitation program, the name of the game was routine in daily activities and I finally started to see the positive impact in my recovery. There is an element of comfort in knowing what my day had in store. I believe chaos in life is a huge trigger. Having a routine helps me cope with life's curve balls.
  • Routines are helpful for everyone.