Alternatives to sleeping pills

Are there any alternatives to sleeping pills I can take? I am not allowed to be prescribed them because I took an overdose once and no doctor will give them to me (quite rightly) But is there anything I can take or do instead? I have terrible trouble sleeping and am such a light sleeper I just want a decent nights rest!
  • 13 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • I like to use chamomile tea as a sleep aide. 
    I also try not to use electronic devices or look at bright lights or screens an hour before I go to sleep.
    Limit caffeine intake 8 hours before you plan to go to bed.
    Once in a while I will take melatonin if I am having trouble with my sleep pattern (but I also work shift work.)
    I used to take Valerian, but I don't anymore. 
  • I've also had sleeping issues before. Something that helped me a bit was some hot milk sweetened up with some honey. It made me sleepy and relaxed, and I managed to go to bed easier after drinking it. It may not work for everyone, but hey, it doesn't hurt to try.
  • Warm liquids in general seem to help a lot of people, and whatever you choose is probably a matter of your own preferences more than anything. I personally like chamomile tea or rooibos.

I also like to unwind with a book before bed, but it’s important that it’s a hard copy rather than an e-book. And another caveat: You might want to be careful with this and pick something you’ve already read, otherwise you might find yourself so absorbed in a new story that you don’t want to sleep…
  • Surely there are alternatives. I think the best alternative is not indulging in laziness and actually doing something in the day so that once it's night you feel exhausted and can't do anything but sleep. Also stay away from caffeine, cut it completely it will help for sure I promise. Drink a lot of water and eat well.
  •  To sleep better just relax and switch off, if you can.

If you are having trouble switching off at bedtime some light exercise (for example, push ups or sit ups) at bedtime often helps you to relax, unwind and switch off and that often improves your sleep. Strenuous exercise at bedtime is likely to ruin your sleep.

Common sleep aids include warm milk, Chamomile tea, 5-HTP, Melatonin and Valerian.

• Not sure if this will help but there are some foods that help a person get to sleep easier

Sleep enhancing foods are supposed to include turkey, cherries, oatmeal, bananas, wine and others as in : Sleep enhancing foods are supposed to include turkey, cherries, oatmeal, bananas, wine and others as in :
    http://au.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGkmOObYlOTD4A3Y0L5gt.;_ylc=X1MDMjExNDcwOTAwMwRfcgMyBGFvAzAEZnIDdXNoLWFucwRob3N0cHZpZANFaG5SR1VvR2t5bTlTWWx3VG9qNWxncDBjTlczeEU2SmJZNEFEeDhWBG5fZ3BzAzAEbl92cHMDMARvcmlnaW4Dc3JwBHF1ZXJ5AyJzbGVlcCBlbmhhbmNpbmcgZm9vZHMiBHNhbwMxBHZ0ZXN0aWQD?p="sleep+enhancing+foods"&fr2=sb-top&fr=ush-ans&vm=r&rd=r1

• Insomnia, the inability to fall asleep or obtain a good night’s rest, can be caused by anxiety and stress, depression, adrenal exhaustion or liver congestion. Sometimes, just taking something that helps relax the nervous system shortly before bedtime is enough. So first of all you have to find out the cause why you can’t sleep and than you can treat the problem.
    When you have found out what the problem is than you can you can look into product to take.

• Natural alternatives to sleeping pills, like melatonin. You should have a daily routine every waking hour

http://insomnianaturalsleep.com/the-effects-of-how-exercise-helps-sleep/

See the source to get more alternative way to treat insomnia.

• It's milk for me. Anything dairy makes me feel so sleepy especially when it's warm and just before going to bed. Herbal tisanes are really good too so you can consider them as alternatives.
  • You can probably try the old fashioned way. In other words, work your body to exhaustion to the point you have no choice but to fall asleep. For example, go the the gym and work out until you card hardly move anymore. When you get home you'll sleep like a log.

• There are many alternatives to sleeping pills that can be found right now in your surrounding in your kitchen. According to me, the best alternative is cookies. I also take it when I need it.
    You can take cookies just before you are going to bed just before 30 minutes. It can act as a sedative. But remember take it in a limit because too much of sugar will cause side effects or opposite effects.
    Good luck 
  • Hey! earlier I posted about some alternatives to sleeping pills and talked about cookies and other home made or that which can be found just right in your kitchen. But now I am going to tell you about how you can get a better sleep without any use of anything.
    First, you can make changes in your hygiene and can make improvements in your diet.
    Secondly, there are many herbal treatments and many exercises to do for getting you fit mentally.
    Try these and feel the difference.
    Good luck.
  • You can try some relaxing methods, there's a lot of them online. Breathing exercises, maybe practicing yoga or meditation can also help. I'm sure that there's a lot of natural alternatives such as teas and natural pills, my mom used to take them and it made wonders for her.
    Good luck!