Medication for life

Do you know of anyone who has had anxiety medication for the entire life? Is it really true that people should have anxiety medication just as people take high BP medication? What are your thoughts on this? I ask you this question as I once heard a psychiatrist preaching the same. 
  • 15 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • @bonzer hi there. good question. i am not a doctor, so i'm not an expert on this.

my thought on the matter is that there may be some people with anxiety disorders that may take meds for life to manage symptoms.  for those that suffer from mild anxiety or perhaps going through something very stressful (divorce, loss of loved one, etc) maybe be on the meds and then taper off down the road.

so perhaps it has more to do with the severity of the anxiety. also, it's a good idea to look for alternative ways to relieve the anxiety.
  • My grandma was on it from the time she had kids (in her 20's) until now (she's in her late 80's). So I've never actually known her without them. You wouldn't think she was anxious at all, and honestly I don't know if it was a specific event that triggered it or what - she has never really opened up about it, nor do I want to pry into the circumstances. She just mentioned it once that she'd been on them since she was in her 20's.

I figure if she's been prescribed them for that long though it's helping her get through everyday life - I don't see it as a bad thing. She's very fit and healthy in all other respects.
  • Some people have chronic conditions that require anti anxiety medications to make life bearable. Maybe not Xanax, but one of the nerve pills.
  • @Beatrice, propanolol is probably the most common drug used for this purpose. It's been used to treat anxiety (as well as a whole host of other issues) since the 1970s and is perfectly safe to take for an extended period of time. 
  • @missbishi
    I've never heard of that one. But I know some people who swear by Paxil. Is it similar?
  • @missbishi: Yes, Propranolol is a beta blocker is also used in anxiety patients. It's prescribed along with other anxiety medication like tranquillizers. Nevertheless, the sedative effects of these drugs can hamper your productivity as they affect your stamina and concentration levels.

But yes, other stress and anxiety relieving mechanisms must be pursued for effective relief from anxiety.
  • @Beatrice: No, paxil is paroxetine hydrochloride and is used to treat depression, OCD and anxiety disorder. It belongs to the class of SSRIs. (Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor). It's not to be confused with Propranolol, which is a beta blocker. A beta blocker can be given to heart patients also. 

for more information and a difference between the same, you may visit the links below.

• Possibly, conversing with a health professional regarding the situation will be the best way to find the true answer. However, there are many different types of exercises a psychologist can do with those who have anxiety to overcome it for good. Great Post!
  • @Bonzer Thank you for the info. I know very little about this stuff. I have heard of beta blockers before. But I didn't realize what they did, at all.
  • My fiancé's grandma is 97 and has been on Librium for anxiety most of her life. I have severe anxiety myself and I'm probably going to be on some type of medication to help with it for the rest of my life (if I can ever find a medication that helps it!)
  • One of my cousins takes medications for anxiety, he has been doing so for years and i am pretty sure he will continue doing so for the years to come.  Some people are just unable to quit those meds and fight their anxiety on their own. I have done that and let me tell you I know this isn't for everyone out there to try, you need to have certain personality traits and character in order to succeed...

I was lucky to have those, plus a desire to get better and knowing that those meds do come with some really nasty side effects.
  • I think many doctors will leave you on something for life, if you say it has a positive effect on you and helped take away the symptoms you were experiencing when you first went in. Unfortunately I think that is a common view by doctors and people - the normalcy of the long term use of medications. 
  • I think it depends on the person and the severity of the disorder. I probably will be on medication for it for the rest of my life since I have issues with depression as well as anxiety. I am okay with it if it means I will not have to feel like I do when I am not on it. 
  • I'm not a doctor on an expert no this matter but what can I tell you is that it probably depends on the person. My cousin's wife suffers from depression and anxiety. She was even hospitalized for a time. But I know that she has already stopped taking medication. She looks happy these days. I just hope that she won't have bouts of anxiety attacks again.
  • I don't think anyone should be on medication for life. Therapy is good and will help many recover and live normal; if a person relies so much on medication, he becomes addicted to such drugs they become a part of his life.