Self Injury Addiction

I'm curious as to who here has fought an addiction with self injury and how it began for you? I began cutting at age 14, after being hospitalized on a psychiatric unit and having a roommate who did it.
Also - how have you fought the addiction? I've been to the only residential treatment program in the U.S. that focuses on treating self injury. It wasn't helpful for stopping my self injury and actually harmful in other areas. I've been in and out of therap since I was 12. I've made a lot of improvement, but still fight a daily battle.
  • 2 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • i was never really into it. I never had the willpower to be able to hurt myself that way... Thank God!
  • At the height of his depression, my son was a cutter. For a long time, my wife and I had to lock up all of the knives in our house. In his case, he just seemed to move away from cutting when his treatment for depression (therapy, meds) started to work. 

I wish I had an answer for you, @Lol. As a parent, I struggled so much with the feeling that my son wanted to injure himself. I'm sending you positive, healing vibes. I hope and pray that you can eventually win this battle. Hugs to you, my friend.