I had a video gaming addiction once.

For about eight months of my life at one point, I would wake up and play video games. I would pretty much play until I went to sleep, only taking breaks to handle daily tasks that I couldn't neglect. I'd say I averaged six to 10 hours of play per day because I was within the top 1,000 for a couple of the games I played (according to the online leaderboards, not my own opinions). It really started to affect my life, and the only thing that really stopped me was when I had to sell my consoles and games to pay rent. 

That's pretty much when I realized something was wrong, and I haven't owned a console since. I have played video games, but the urge isn't there any longer. 
  • 18 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • I can understand this. I do this still, today, on a daily basis. I know I'm addicted. I've been trying to cut myself off from it more and more. To date, I have spent nearly 4 consecutive years (with no breaks, that is STRAIGHT time) on MMORPGs alone. My friends started to leave because I couldn't (or looking back on it WOULDN'T) hang with them. I had to do this raid, or I had to kill this boss. The list goes on. I have since stopped playing them, and only have an xbox 360 with destiny on it, which I play for minimal hours a day to satisfy that mmo feeling. 

I have to say, it's more liberating. I'm starting to work from home online earning money it's a good feeling, instead of being deadweight who didn't even want to see the sunlight.
  • Yeah, me too. Video games are addicting and when I had no kids I could stay up playing them up to 5 or 6 in the morning and go to work like a zombie with just one or two hours sleep...
  • I can entirely relate to this.  As a kid I spent up to 9 hours daily playing video games.  If my mother even threatened to take my games I went spastic.  I guess they were a source of comfort and a way I could getaway from everything that bothered me.  I no longer play video games, though.  At least not to that extent.
  • I definitely agree that video games can become addicting, but I have never personally been addicted to them before. I know that I have had friends who used to skip school when video games were released, spend 24+ hours straight playing video games, not sleeping at night because they're playing video games and then fall asleep on the bus or in the middle of classes or don't even show up. I even knew a kid in high school who brought his gameboy or DS or PSP or whatever that day and played video games in almost all of his classes and lunch instead of actually paying attention!
  • I've binge played new releases before but not lately. It's something that gives you a high, even for casual players, and then you feel pretty exhausted when you're done. Obviously, you will since you've been playing games for hours and hours straight. I think I topped out at 15 hours on and off but consistently playing a game. It was probably a Call of Duty game, but I love all types of video games. I stay away unless I'm playing with a friend or I'm outside of my own house. 
  • Yeah, I can relate to how the feeling of playing longer and longer leaves a euphoric sense of accomplishment, and then complete exhaustion. People get used to routines; this is no different. This is why people become addicted.
  • I remember when I played World of Warcraft that I wasted 7-8hours only online. It's definitely think that it can be a serious addiction also.
  • It is, it's not "You think" - most people don't want to admit it. They're just scared. But check out my MMORPG addiction thread here on our forums. And then tell me it isn't an addiction. Lol.
  • If it is intefering with your life, then it is an addiction. Again it is a judgement call that someone has to make. People can get addicted to anything, from playing golf to watching sports. People who live thier life through sports games have an addiction of some sort probably. But it is their judgement call.
  • However, this is not a destructive addiction if you add in certain activities - go outside, find a job, hang out with friends. BREAK up the gaming. That was my main downfall, I gamed for chunks and chunks of time AT a time - and thats when it becomes a serious addiction.
  • Good for you. I have the same problem when I find a new game I love, but after a couple days I get bored and I'm not that obsessed anymore. I remember being addicted to Manhunt, GTA, Bully, Fable and Half-Life 2 though, which are my favorite games.
  • @SDarkraven, I know what you mean. My biggest issue was that I didn't do much to break up the gaming. I would take care of my daily tasks, but then I'd game so much around those tasks that the problem just grew worse no matter what else I did. I probably should have gone outside a little more, but that obviously didn't cross my mind at the time.
  • I just looked up how much time I spent on one game. around 2500 hours/100 days game time total. That's not too considering I've played this game about 3-4 years I guess. I think I can stop fine: I'm able to not play a game for a few weeks/months if i really need to take a break. The issue is once I start playing, it's so much harder to stop. Once I play game, it translates to maybe about 3-5 more, which is already half the day already.
  • Video games are extremely addictive. MMO's especially. What makes them so hard is that in a video game you feel so accomplished versus in the real world where most people work 9-5 jobs at a place they hate. Not only that, but have to deal with unappreciative bosses, uncaring companies, disgustingly low wages for the work, and rude customers. Then coming home to people who cared and an environment where my merit was appreciated. That was the huge component of the addiction. It wasn't the game play, it was the thrill of accomplishment. 
  • Yes. Because that situation gives a sense of "Family" that you want to have, that these "Brothers and Sisters" that you do these raids with actually build a strong bond - one enough to break through those crappy bosses or even crappier jobs. Then you come home and you world-first a boss-kill? That feeling is undeniable. It's no different then being completely blasted on a drug - the rush of Endorphin...

Problem still remains that while we do activities like these in the games, we don't do enough to break it up like my earlier mentioned post. If we did we wouldn't have viewed this as an addiction to begin with. I can't lie, even to this day my head is full of Games and lore and legend. Remember what I had last night for dinner? No thanks. Remember the boss from a level XX dungeon and his entire loot table? Not a problem!

Just gotta deal with it the best you can.
  • MMOs are so addictive because of the community, and some of those games have so much lore and details behind them. It's incredible how much time some people can spend in an MMO or MMORPG. Then again, I spent 1,000+ hours in multiple FPS games each over the course of three months or so. We don't even need complex games to get sucked into them without adequate breaks and other activities. It's scary and a little incredible at the same time. 
  • I did the same thing, I went to bed after a long video gaming session, then woke up again ready to do the same over and over. I did that day after day for an entire year,  now I no longer regret all those hours I wasted in front the computer...  But sometimes I do think about it, and wonder what I could have done with all that whole year!

I now stay away from MMORPGs, because I know how highly addictive they can be.  

• The best way to cope with it is time management.  Set yourself a time to play your games and then you stop.  Put the controller down and go do some chores or something.  I had those times also where if I play a little longer I can beat the next level boss and I'll be the man.  That is addicting, I know.  But you have a real life away from the games.  So address that accordingly.