Comedy Tv shows that will get you hooked instantly

I personally think Tv shows are much better than movies when you're recovering from an addiction why? because they get you hooked and involved I mean once you finish watching a movie it ends right there after 1.5 hours but a tv series will take you to another world and get you involved for weeks.

here's my list of comedy tv shows that will lift your spirits:

1. The big bang theory (sh** I love this one, and not even a single cigarette is smoked at this show so it won't trigger your cravings)
2.How I met your mother
3.Sex&Drugs&rock&Roll (I'm telling you this is a great show)
4. Californication (Showtime really knows how to make this kind of shows)

ok now's your turn, could you name a few other?
  • 42 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • A show that I use as a distraction, that isn't necessarily comedy but will give me a decent amount of laughs is, White Collar on the USA Network. The show has already ended, so there are no more"waiting for the next season."

The show follows an FBI agent and his partner, a captured con-man, and their journey throughout NYC. The con-man as you can expect is witty and charming. He's the source of much of the comedic relief.

I think the reason why this show was so helpful in my recovery journey is that it keeps me on my toes and I just want to keep watching, and it has just the right amount of comedy to help cope with sadness.
  • The shows that never fail to make me laugh include Bottom, Fawlty Towers and The Inbetweeners. I can watch episodes of these shows time and time again and still PMSLevery time!
  • The comedy show that got me super hooked recently was The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It's hilarious and honestly I could not just stop watching after one episode - we binge watched the entire first season and are now impatiently waiting for the second to come out!
  • Arrested development and community are two of the funniest shows ive ever seen. They have a really quirky sense of humor that i like
  • @kassie1234 I had pretty much the same experience watching The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I had no idea what it was about but I had heard it was good so I clicked it on Netflix. I actually laughed out loud so many times, the jokes are hilarious and also very topical at times. I ended up watching the whole season in a couple of days and I'll probably watch the second one right when it comes out.

I heard someone say on a podcast that they watched the whole first season, then just started it over again. I thought that was ridiculous but I'm actually considering it!
  • Thank you for the suggestion, I find cleaner comedy much more comfortable though, if there is any of them, it would be a good one.
  • I like all these. I like your suggestion to watch tv shows over movies. But I tell you, I have recently thrown myself back into work and do not like to get involved with watching a tv program and getting hooked on it. Tv and tv programs can become an addiction also. Please, do be careful.
  • @shown_f I was in the same boat! I would say I find a lot of stuff funny, but it takes quite a bit to get me actually laughing out loud - but that show just seemed to get me in each and every episode! The casting is excellent, it was an immediate new favorite for me! 
  • I am watching Friends at the moment, as it is a show that I had never watched before, but none of my friends could believe me because they thought that it was something that everyone had seen. I hadn't, however, but I am making up for it now. I am hooked, and this means that I am not thinking about having a drink while I am watching it. Some may say that I have simply swapped one addiction for another, however I would much rather be addicted to TV shows than alcohol, to be honest with you! 
  • I love a lot of tv shows! However their aren't enough out there that can really make me laugh 
    :( I have two in mind though that can always put a smile on my face with their witty jokes! They are both old shows; The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Soap! I know that The Fresh Prince of Bel Air is still quite popular now a days and lots of people have heard of it and even watched it! However, I am not sure how many people have watched Soap but you should definitely check it out! My favourite character on Soap is the butler, his name is Benson and he is absolutely hilarious! I would definitely watch the show just for him ;) Soap is on netflix (in Canada, not sure about any the US but hopefully!) and there are tons of seasons so you will have hours of entertainment! You should definitely check out both these shows on netflix and let me know what you think! Hope these shows can get some laughs out of you and you guys enjoy them as much as I have! Thanks for this great post and great question :) Hope you all have a good day! 
  • For me, there's probably only one show that I can watch over and over again, and that's only fools and horse. I'm sure all the people on here from the UK will be familiar with it, although I'm not sure it did particularly well in other countries. It's a very British kind of humour, shall we say and I'm not sure a lot of people outside Britain appreciate that sense of sarcasm.
  • Yup I've watched How I met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory and definitely agree. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is pretty hilarious too. I watch old Seinfeld and That 70s Show too on my days off.
  • I really like "The IT crowd."
    Once you get into it, super funny. Very mild mannered too.

Another great one is "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" although careful with that one it has a lot of triggers in it. Once you understand the characters are the embodiment of poor behaviour and life choices you will start to love them a little haha.

All time greatest TV comedy HAS to be 30 Rock. The writing is top notch, the characters just real and relateable enough yet zany and crazy enough to keep you laughing. Packed full of jokes too, you have to watch it a few times to catch them all, reminds me more of a classic comedy then a modern one. No laugh track either. If you haven't watched it I highly recommend it. 
  • I love all of those shows that you listed except for the Big Bang Theory. Goodness, that show is so cringe worthy sometimes. The jokes can be so stale.
  • @big I love Community. I really hope that they do get that Six Seasons and Movie! Also, Donald Glover is the man.
  • I agree @AtlantaSports. Do you remember Arrested development, it was a bit like community.
  • Try "Peep Show", a British comedy that has 6 episode seasons and is currently filming its final season. I love British comedy, and while there is drug use it is definitly seen in a critical light and the addict character is pretty spot-on and delusional. Mark has some great lines about drug-use in the show. It has brilliant writing as well.
  • If you're looking for something that's quirky but focuses on comedy at the same time you should take a look at Psych. Even though it focuses on the comedic part a lot, you can learn some pretty cool things about people from it.
  • I really like "It's always Sunny in Philadelphia" and the other one is sadly a Netflix exclusive called "Bojack Horseman". Both are really great and I can relate to some point to both shows. They make laugh for hours and never get boring, always with new topics and scenes that make your tummy hurt from laughing so much. I highly recommend those two shows to anyone looking for a nice comedy.
  • Friends. Enough said. It's the best TV show I've ever watched (six times). I don't usually get hooked on TV series, but this one is great!

Mostly, I watch animated comedy shows, such as Brickleberry, Drawn Together, Family Guy and The Simpsons. They are really funny and could watch them forever.
  • @big My brother is a huge fan of it. I have seen bits and pieces and it's made me laugh almost every single time I've watched it, but I've never gotten into it.
  • @nerghaal Friends is definitely one of my go to shows whenever there are re-runs on TV. I love it. I hate how unrealistic their living standards were, though. Those people had super nice apartments in downtown New York and their jobs definitely did not match the place that they lived.
  • A Netflix Original show that I have really gotten into recently is Bojack Horseman. It is such a deep, brooding show that is funny, but equally dark. It's a cartoon that follows a horse who used to be famous but is now in a state of declination.
  • The Big Bang Theory is my favorite comedy show. Sometimes I get hooked up on funny cartoons too like Spongebob.
  • I like watching funny internet shows on youtube. I don't watch a lot of tv or scripted shows anymore so I get my entertainment online. From time to time I'll watch some comedy shows but I only really have a few favorites that I really follow. South Park is one of those shows because I really like their humor and ability to pull off controversial topics with the right amount of decency.
  • I also love watching comedy series. They do make me laugh, and we all know that laughter is always the best medicine. I also enjoyed The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. Other shows I had fun watching as well are Parks and Recreation, 2 Broke Girls, and New Girl.  
  • Inside amy Schumer is a series i just couldnt stop watching. I love that women
  • I love love love That 70s show and still watch it from time to time. I also love American Dad and Bob's Burgers. I also watch Beauty and the Geek and it can be funny at times. Some older shows that I still love are Friends and Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Watching comedy series is always entertaining and very relaxing. You don't get the drama and the heavy emotions with the usual shows. I'm pretty sure I cannot watch the Walking Dead when I'm depressed as I'll feel even more depressed.
  • For me there is no competition for the title of the best comedy show ever. It's Seinfeld by a country mile. It has the most innovative and original humor ever. The others that come after Seinfeld are The Office and Friends. In the current shows I like The Big Bang Theory.
  • Personally, I like The Office. I know it is not really considered Comedy. Yet, it has this essence or nature that is very light and just brightens my day. I love watching The Office. I try to watch at least one episode every day!
  • The Soul Man with Cedric the Entertainer always gets me laughing and I began watching The Carmichael show that aired for a short time on NBC and liked it. I do have to say that I love older comedy shows like I Love Lucy, The Golden Girls, The Wayans Brothers, and Martin.
  • The new Undatable Live show is highly funny and I watch it every week. I like how they add lines about shows that the characters used to play in and stuff like that. They also include the audince as part of the story line so it is a good showto watch.
  • I've been watching Last Man Standing on Netflix. I'm on season 3. They have 4 on there. Not sure how many there are though. It's like Home Improvement but with 3 girls instead of boys. 
  • Silicon Valley gets my vote. The whole cast is HILARIOUS. On a similar vein, The IT Crowd is another wonderful show but this one's from across the pond. Both deal with IT/Computer guys with the former trying to break out in the Technology scene in Silicon Valley while the guys from the latter are more laid-back in a corporate office. They get into outrageous scenarios and I usually find myself laughing out loud. 10/10 for both.
  • How I Met Your Mother is my personal favorite in your list. My Top 3 shows in no order are:-

1)Friends
    2)Coupling
    3)Inbetweeners
  • Rick and Morty is the best animated show for an adult audience I have seen in years. Once you watch a few episodes, you will want to continue. The show is linear in events and has an endless amount of jokes. 
  • I am really enjoying the new show "Life in Pieces" it is so funny I like the way they do the show in different stories. I also like "Fresh off the boat." There are so many good shows that put a smile on my face. My all time favorite hands down is "Good Times."
  • @Tata: Can you tell the names of those web series...I also like shows that are on youtube...they're different from tv shows in some ways that are interesting to me...
  • You know what I love to watch when I'm down? The Tom Green Show. It's an older one but it's still hilarious. He's the original troll and it's ultra hilarious to watch him mess with people before people were aware of who he was.
  • I absolutely agree with you. I have been watching a lot of series lately, to name some; ‘Full house’, ‘The Walking Dead’, ‘Suits’ and some a lot of series by Andy Yeatman on Netflix Well, you can see that I don’t like to stick to one genre and have a lot in my plate. It is fun this way.
  • "Seinfeld" is, IMO, the funniest show of all time. I can rewatch "Seinfeld" episodes for hours on end. Still as funny as ever. :D
  • I'm a big fan of Friends... my all-time favorite!! sometimes shows can be very therapeutic!