When Did You Know You Had to Stop?

My realization moment came in two parts. First, the first time I drove drunk. Second, the time I ended up in the ER after going on a drinking binge the night before. I'd thrown up for 17 hours straight and was so dehydrated that I had to be carried into the ER waiting room by family. That is the sickest I've ever been in my adult life and it made me realize I had one hell of a problem.
What was the incident that made you realize you had to stop?
  • 2 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • When I wasn't living comfortably anymore. I used to have a lot of money and be able to buy expensive stuff and go on trips, but after my alcohol addiction my life started to become a mess and I was barely paying rent. When I realised how alcohol was draining my life I decided to change for good. That was the turning point for me.
  • I was at home one morning and it was about the 3rd day after I'd stopped drinking after a major binge.  It was around 9.15am and the next thing I knew I woke up on a grass verge about 300 yards from my apartment and it was 10.15am  There was a medic crouching over me and he asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital.  I was totally confused and hadn't the faintest idea of what had happened to me.  Apparently I'd had a seizure and simply collapsed onto the grass verge on my way home from a supermarket.  I had no memory of leaving home or of going to the supermarket but I HAD been there as later I found dated and timed receipts in my pocket from the said supermarket where I'd bought gas heating for my pay as you go gas meter.  A grand mal seizure, they said.  Funny thing is that after I'd been helped into the ambulance as 'walking wounded' I realized that I felt better than I had been feeling for 3 days.  However, it was a bit of a turning point for me when I considered that if I'd been in the middle of the road when the seizure hit me I would have went down in front of the traffic.