Acquired Situational Narcissism: Are celebrities more prone to developing NPD?

Acquired Situational Narcissism was a term coined by Robert B Millman. The term was used to identify Narcissistic Personality Disorder in people who had acquired the disorder during adolescence or adulthood by being exposed to a life of celebrity, fame and fortune. ASN is indistinguishable from Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) except for it's root cause(s). According to Millman, celebrities become so accustomed to people watching them that they stop looking back at other people. They are also more likely to go on to live a life of unstable relationships, erratic behaviour and substance misuse.
  • 4 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • i think this could be possible...but i'm not an expert in this area...thanks for sharing!
  • I think Millman hit the nail right on the head when he mentioned how celebrities get so used to people looking at them all the time that they become the center of attention and forget to give their attention to other people - instead they become constantly focused on the self and become self-absorbed, self-conscious and therefore more narcissistic. Of course, there are many famous people who were born into a life of fame and fortune and don't know any other way than the celebrity lifestyle. I believe Acquired Situational Narcissism is more likely to affect such people during adolescence - they become accustomed to it and it becomes the norm.
  • It makes sense, we all have heard stories about celebrities who were nicer when they weren't that famous but then they became egocentric and annoying, and I think that's completely normal, I guess that when you are used to be the center of attention for a lot of people you stop being humble somehow... But there's a lot of "nice" celebrities out there too, a lot of them are humble and nice with other people... So I think that it doesn't really apply for everyone.
  • @anorexorcist20
    Yes, you're right. You make a good point. In this respect I think it can go either way. I think whereas fame and fortune can indeed cause many celebrities and famous people to become egocentric and more self-centered, I also think there are some celebrities who go the opposite way (inverted narcissism) - they shy away from being the center of attention and try to hide away from the world.