Anybody else with dermatillomania?

I saw a thread for trich, but I didn't see anybody else with other BFRBs! Does anyone else have dermatillomania? I'm really struggling with it lately. My fiancee is urging me to get professional help, but my insurance is ridiculous and won't cover it unless I drive two hours away - plus a $20 or more copay. I know we can't afford it, especially with the holidays coming up. Besides that, I have a major phobia with riding in the car so I'm not even sure I can handle making a two hour drive once a week. Anyways, I'm looking for a little support, and any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • 6 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • @healzzz hello and welcome! i do not have a bfrb, but i feel for you! if you cannot attend therapy, do your best to educate yourself abundantly on the issue....watch youtube videos, study books, and so on. try some of the therapies discussed on the web...even hypnosis may work! :)  that's what i would do if i couldn't go and get professional help. the web may be your ticket to freedom! try all sorts of things and you might just find what works for you!!

best of luck to you!
  • Check out this website - although they are called trich.com, they also cover skin picking too. There appears to be a wealth if information there - including many self help strategies.
  • I think both Dominica and Missbishi's advice above is useful - education is a lot of the time the biggest key to self awareness and working on strategies to combat it. It's frustrating when your insurance doesn't cover things like this and despite wanting help it's so expensive and prohibitive with being so far away. Hopefully some online resources would be a good place to start. I do wonder if there are any forums out there specifically dedicated to it? It would be good to connect with others who have gone through it too.
  • Thank you so much everyone! I am trying to educate myself, but I think at the very least I'll try to make the drive to get an official diagnosis. I mean, there's no question that I have it, but a diagnosis from a psychiatrist might help, even if I can't get therapy on a regular basis. Besides, an antidepressant or an anti-anxiety medication might do me some good. I don't know about a forum, but I have been thinking about starting a facebook group if I can't find one. It's good to know I'm not alone!
  • Try to search for support groups online, or forums where people with this same issue can talk freely about it.  Maybe finding someone to send mails back and forward would be helpful too.  That is definitely better than nothing :) 
  • Hi! I think that's a good call on starting a Facebook group. I hope you find people with a similar condition as yours. They might be able to give you some personal advice and tips about handling your condition. As I've read, pharmacological treatments are highly effective in treating dermatillomania and I highly encourage you to seek professional advice for this. 

I've also read that having something to hold, like a stress ball or anything else, can keep you from your habit. Good luck! Keep us posted as well!