Yoga?

Has anyone used yoga as part of your recovery? I'm considering giving it a try and would like to hear experiences or opinions.
  • 10 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • I've only tried beginner's yoga and never returned to the class. LOL. But it was good though just not for me as I felt I was in a sauna the whole time I much prefer the fresh air that running brings. You have to find the exercise that's good for you. If you don't mind exercising in place then yoga is good for that.
  • I've never tried Yoga but I do think it could be quite beneficial. Personally, I'm into more mind-related and metaphysical topics and the power of the mind. Of course, meditation is a large part of that which is also a large part of Yoga. I think there are many alternative practices out there which can be beneficial in this way and Yoga is one of them. Why not give it a go?
  • Definitely give it a shot. I don’t do it as often as I used to, because I’ve found that wearing myself out seems to be more effective for combating the slight freakouts I tend toward. But I still think it’s a great supplement to my lifestyle; sometimes I do need to be a little more still and focused, which yoga provides. So I still try to squeeze it in 2-3 times a week. If it’s not for you, you can always try something else.
  • Yoga is great. I highly recommend it. A lot of yoga classes taught in the west are a bit tacky and gimmicky to me though, not a whole lot of authenticity that you'd find in India, so be aware of that. It supplements recovery regimes greatly when applied well, and it may aid you for the rest of your life. If it's too much the alternative is basic meditation, a lot of information about it around here. 
  • i've done yoga several times and it is a wonderful way to connect with your body...and stretch and gain some strength. i would love to commit more to it, but i've been slack at making a commitment.....go ahead and give it a try!
  • While I've never used yoga personally, there's quite a few other threads on the forum that say that people have often found it a big help.

I think any form off exercise for the body or mind can help people cope with anything that's happening in their lives, and especially help with recovery.
  • Many people think yoga is easy, but if you have tried real yoga, it is extremely hard and good for the body. I ecourage any one who is going through recovery to give it a try. It relaxes both your mind and your soul.
  • Yoga is something that takes a lot of discipline and personally I didn't use it that much. I felt like meditation was easier for me (I know yoga is meditation as well but.. it's much easier to use other "techniques") and it has better results.
  • Yes, I tried yoga last summer and in my opinion it's amazing. It may be difficult to get used to it but after a session you feel way more relaxed and that is really helpful especially for me when it comes to stay motivated for staying away from bad habits.
    You should give it a try!
  • I actually started going to yoga classes once a week a month ago and it's awesome. I mentioned it before, but I'm big into fitness and have been sober for 11 months now and yoga was really awesome for me. I tried it a few times before, but I didn't like it, but these last few sessions have been amazing. Biggest recommendations from me.