Keeping In Touch with Someone In Rehab

When your loved one is going through rehab, it is important that you keep in touch with them often. They need to know they are not alone. They need to know that they are still loved, despite what their addiction may have caused their behavior to become. They need to hear that things could be fixed if they kept up with recovery and worked at making things better. So how do you keep in touch?

Two Easy Ways of Keeping in Touch with Loved Ones in Rehab

The easiest way to keep in touch is by writing them a letter. This has multiple benefits. One, they can read it when they are ready, and as often as they want to remind them about how you feel. Two, you can write it over and over until you get it right. Saying something to your loved one may come out wrong, but if it comes out wrong on paper, you can still fix it. Take the time to plan out your words carefully, and it could be a very effective tool.

Another option is going to their rehab and going to a counseling session that allows friends and family to be a part of it. This can help them see you are there while still allowing you to hold on to your feelings about their addiction. The feelings can be worked through with the counselor, on both ends, and amends can begin from this one simple gesture.

Reference

“How to Communicate with Someone in Rehab.” Alternatives in Treatment (Website). (2014).
  • 1 Commentby Likes|Date
  • What if they act aggressively towards you? I ask this because i have a cousin who is currently in rehab and hates his parents for what he is going through in there. Rehabilitation centers in my country are no different from prisons. The food is pathetic and rules are very strict. He once pounced on his dad during a visiting day and got his days added. Do you really think there is hope in him changing for the better?