Addiction To Diphenhydramine

I've battle addiction most of my life, now I've discovered I may be addicted to something a little strange. I think I'm addicted to Diphenhydramine, the active ingredient in Benadryl, Tylenol/Advil PM and many OTC sleep aids. I've searched online for information about abuse but I can't find anything. Does anyone know from experience with themselves or.a friend on what this does long term?
  • 4 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • For me: 1st night, it works, but weird dreams, 2nd night will knock me out, but rest is incomplete and hard time waking up...beyond 2nd night, do not feel rested at waking and lots of waking up throughout night. However, in my first few nights of not drinking, these pills will usually result in some sleep when I wouldn’t get any....

I have no experience with sleep aids over any long term sobriety period...I expect that when I am able to remain sober for a long time, I’ll only have sleep issues at the clock shifts for daylight and standard time changes and possibly mid-winter when I am often awake in the middle of the night for no good reason.
  • @Destiny i am not sure...but i want to look into it myself, as i take benedryl occasionally... the mornings i have tough time waking up i attribute to allergies (cuz they are pretty rough right now), but maybe it's the benedryl??

hmmm, i'll report back what i find, but i'm no doctor

i do hope you can get some good rest!
  • Common OTC sleep aids are the same active ingredient as Benadryl. I was surprised to learn that a while back because I definitely get drowsy from them, although I’ve only rarely used Benadryl for allergies, so I don’t really know how Benadryl affects me during daytime hours.
  • I occasionally take a sleep aid that has diphenhydramine in it. It helps me sleep, but in the morning I feel like a truck ran over me in the middle of the night. And every time I take it I seem to have some really bizarre dreams.