What do you consider healthy narcissism?

Psychologists view narcissism on a sliding scale, that goes from what they call "healthy" narcissism, all the way over to severe Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

What do you consider healthy narcissism? My experience with narcissism is so negative that I can't wrap my head around what healthy narcissism would even look like. 
  • 18 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • I think that there is a definitive line between Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and Narcissism. My main thought is that there is having confidence, and having a disorder. Having self confidence is important in life, and people have to learn to love themselves. I don't think that any form of self love is negative.
    But, narcissism is totally different. It's trying to push the idea that you're better than everyone else on everyone, and it's horrible. 
  • There is a massive difference between healthy narcissism and malignant narcissism.  Narcissism is,of course, just another word for self-love. It's important to be able to learn how to love yourself before you can learn to love another and this is the problem with Narcissistic Personality Disorder - it can be deceiving. Narcissists do not genuinely love themselves in this way, they have not gone on to learn how to love themselves and therefore they cannot love another person.  They therefore have no genuine self-esteem or self-worth and have to replicate them by persistently having to attain and constantly maintain the positive attention of those around them.
  • Healthy narcissism would be about loving yourself for who you really are, not loving your reflection or what the society thinks you should be.
  • Healthy narcissism could be about thinking what's best for yourself in terms of making decision and how you view yourself compared to others. 

For example, instead of joining your friends eating street foods or junk foods to get along.. you decide to isolate yourself and become picky and eat healthy foods instead..

as for viewing yourself, for as long as it is not VANITY.. it's just simply giving more value to yourself than others. 

just a thought.
  • Actually taking credit for what you do and have some faith in yourself. It helps your self esteem but don't take it too far, it might cause problems.
  • Not interfering with others' well being, I'd say. But it wouldn't be called narcissism if you weren't egotistic, I suppose. 
  • In some way i really think it is important to love yourself. Obviously not to an extent where you put you before everybody else around you but to be confident and have some pride and esteem, isn't such a bad thing in life.
  • I personally can't see that there is such a thing as healthy narcissism. I worked with a narcissist once and he was a complete "A" He was the most manipulative person I ever met in my entire life and I will be glad if I never see him again! 
  • Healthy "narcissism" is more likely self-esteem and a good image about yourself. Under no circumstance narcissism is healthy. All kinds of narcissists are bad, no exceptions. 
  • @Clairelouise84
    Narcissism (not disordered) is an absolutely real and completely natural human trait which all of us require for adequate social functioning, self-defense, self-worth, self-esteem, etc - everyone has ego. Narcissism is the direct opposite of empathy - narcissism is being able to relate to ourselves whereas empathy is being able to relate to others. Everyone has narcissism. It's only a personality disorder when a person is unable to experience, or has extremely low levels, of empathy (and therefore high levels of narcissism) - that is, they remain 'stuck' in their own worldview.
  • @nergaahl I agree. Well, this was also my initial point, but not rarely have I seen people on so many forums through the Internet actually condoning narcissism. Some of them even took pride with it. I really don't know  what to say about these people... to me, this is some sort of mental disorder.
  • Healthy narcissism would be something along the lines of self-empowerment (as opposed to sheer arrogance and superiority complexity). A person has to love herself so she can accept her shortcomings and wouldn't feel bad about making mistakes. A degree of narcissism is helpful especially during situations where other people are putting you down. You need to have pride in yourself, enough continue onward and not break down even when someone is shredding your character into pieces.
  • @leftct

I agree, it is a mental disorder, and the worst part about it is that it mostly affects other people. There weer many times when a narcissist made me feel bad/sad about myself. And people just don't seem to accept this as a mental disorder! Narcissists really need help, just like other sufferers.
  • I think it depends, but I think that the healthiest way of narcissism is to have a good self esteem and be aware of what you're capable of, that could make you feel so much better about yourself. But it becomes unhealthy when you literally just think about yourself, and you do things just for your own good, no matter how much you're affecting other people.
  • I don't think that narcissism could be considered a personality disorder per se, but might influence this though.

I'm not sure if there is a divisor line between "healthy" narcissism and excess narcissism, but any excess may fall into a pathology situation that may require psychological treatment.
  • Narcissism isn't a personality disorder, it's a basic human trait which every single one of us has. There is a big difference between narcissism (self-love) and Narcissistic Personality Disorder (malignant self-love). Additionally, Narcissistic Personality Disorder is an official diagnosis whereas Malignant Narcissism is a hypothetical category. A narcissist is, essentially, someone who never fully makes it past the self-love stage of personality development which most of us go through during adolescence.
  • There's a huge difference between having pride in what you do and being a narcissist. Remember that whenever you are talking about yourself to others.
  • @drakke completely agree with that. That's a good piece of advice.