Pointers in helping someone with anxiety?

I have a loved one who suffers from bad anxiety  attacks.  I am not quite sure on how to approach this.  What can I do to help and ease these attacks? I would appreciate  suggestions and experiences on this matter.  
  • 4 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • Hello there, @mommyaki! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing. I am sorry to hear that your loved one is currently experiencing such bad anxiety attacks. Since this is a personal battle, I think the best thing for you to do is to try to always be there for that person, and find ways to boost his/her mood. Just having someone who truly understands and cares for you would already be a big help.
  • I was just reading a great post about it somewhere else in the forum!  It was here:  https://talk.recovery.org/discussion/1262/helping-someone-experiencing-an-anxiety-attack-through-an-episode#latest
    I agree that it's the case that having someone there for you is a huge help.  Everyone I know who has anxiety attacks has said that one of the best things is having someone not judge them, dismiss them and the attack, or tell them to snap out of it, etc.  Like any of these behaviours, it's so hard to understand sometimes unless you have personal experience of it, but having someone listen to you, acknowledge that the problem is real, and not judge you for it, is a huge thing.
  • I suffer from anxiety and I do have attacks from time to time, probably not as bad as your loved one. The best thing you can do is to let them go through the phase, be there and offer your support but don't be too pushy. Give him/her as much space as possible.
  • I will always be there and show that i care and love him. But what usually brings anxiety attacks about or usually how they get triggered. He lives a good life. Plays games all day with his friends has my family cook and care for him. He has no stresses. He is spoiled by us. I fear if we put down the foot he will trigger off another episode.