Anxiety and Weight Loss

In the past few week, I have been living with anxiety. I always feel pain in my head. I have not experienced loss in appetite, however, I lost 10 pounds weight. Is there any connection between anxiety and weight loss?
  • 11 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • I'm a firm believer that anxiety causes weight loss. I have no scientific studies to quote, or any evidence other than my own experience. But when I go through stressful times, I tend to lose weight...even if I don't eat less. I call it my "stress diet." I think there's something about anxiety and stress that speeds up the body's metabolism and causes weight loss. Just a theory of mine. Nothing else. 
  • Here's what I read about:
    "With too much thyroid hormone, your body has too strong a metabolism, and this can cause rapid weight loss. Hyperthyroidism is also a cause of anxiety. That's why, even though anxiety is often the cause of unexplained weight loss in people living with anxiety, it's still a good idea to check with a doctor."

Source: http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/weight-loss
  • I think it's possible. I've seen it in those around me. When stress levels are very high and anxiety sets in, weight comes off even if you're not trying. I hope that your anxiety can be relieved soon!
  • I would imagine anxiety would lead to weight loss, but I think due to cortisol spikes, it may lead to fat accumulation around the abdomens. Some people call it the "skinny fat." This is where the limbs are skinny, but the midsection may look heavy. It entirely depends on the person, but it's likely people would eat less due to their anxiety.
  • I would stop eating when I was stressed out and now I do the opposite. I think it affects people in different ways. I stop eating when I am super stressed out or depressed theses days. I find that working out helps to restore this balance. I get hungry because I am using up my calories and then I get better sleep too.
  • Anxiety implies stress, and stress is known for leading to weight loss. Three years ago, I was constantly worried not to get sunburned, however stupid it may sound. I weighed around 48 kilos back then, which isn't safe at all, especially at my height. That's one additional reason to seek treatment. So, for your own good, do something about it.
  • In my worst state of anxiety I lost a lot of weight. This was a while ago and I did lose my appetite, nearly altogether. Think, have you been eating less? Even if you have been eating some, anxiety has always had an effect on my diet.
  • if you have lost weight recently without any apparent reason... you should really consult a doctor.  Losing weight without even trying it is never a good sign, specially if you are eating the same amount of food you did before starting to lose weight. 

Are you sure you are not eating less?   Maybe eating less due the anxiety?  if that is the case, then yes it's normal, but if not... you should really  get checked. 
  • @vinaya You should go see a doctor, I'm not saying its not anxiety, but it might be a physical issue that triggers it. Thyroid malfunction can lead to depression, anxiety and weight loss, and if you've been experiencing this anxiety for only a few weeks, chances are the doctor will give you some pills and voila! no more anxiety. Worth trying I think.
  • Recently, I read about diabetics. I show three symptoms of diabetes, rapid weight loss, too thirsty, and going to bathroom again and again. My weight loss could also be because of diabetes, of not anxiety.
  • @vinaya You could buy a blood sugar monitor and check your blood sugar. If it is between 70-100, then your blood sugar is normal and you likely aren't diabetic. If it is above 100, then you should go to a doctor and get further testing.