Melatonin

Has anyone tried melatonin as an alternative to sleeping pills. I've always been wary of sleeping pills, so I decided to try melatonin. Melatonin is the natural hormone our body produces to regulate our circadian rhythms. A friend of mine used it and it really worked for him. Unfortunately, it didn't really do much for me.
  • 7 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • I've tried melatonin in the past, too. It didn't work for me, either. But I know a lot of people who swear by it. I think it just depends on the individual.
  • Well if melatonin did not work for you, there is no use consuming more. There are other natural ways to help you sleep and you can try this; Banana and cinnamon recipe.
  • A friend of mine recommended it to me when I was having a few things in life keeping me awake at night - and I too didn't seem to have much benefit happen from it. But she raved about it and said it was amazing for her. I find the best thing for me is a warm bath before bed with a couple of drops of lavender oil. The smell and the warmth just put me in that mindset for sleep.
  • Unfortunately what works for one doesn't work for everyone :(  But i have heard that the dose you start with influences the results, I've heard you need to start taking 10 mg, then up it til you get to the deisred dose. It needs to be done slowly. 
  • I've never tried melatonin or even sleeping pills for that matter. I try other means to be able to sleep though, like counting sheep, and reading. The latter didn't help much. It had the opposite effect actually. Instead of helping me sleep, reading a book made me lose sleep more. But I find that taking a relaxing shower before going to sleep helps. As well as drinking chamomile tea or milk.
  • @Mary A warm shower definitely relaxes the body. One of the things that I noticed helped was brushing my teeth at least an hour before I planned on going to sleep. I think the cold water when I rinsed my mouth was sort of jolting me awake. I would always be really sleepy before brushing my teeth. Then I would brush my teeth and I would just be wide awake.
  • @Seraphine 10 mg of melatonin sounds like a lot. That was one of the issues that concerned me. The body naturally only makes less than a mg of melatonin. That was one of the reasons I stopped taking. Taking external melatonin may inhibit the natural production by your body.