Stubbornness

Which disorder is most related to stubbornness? Everyone is stubborn to a point, but everyone has that person in their life that is just next level stubborn. I've heard borderline is one of those disorders. Are there other disorders where stubborness is a hallmark sign.
  • 12 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • Had to search this one up and this is what I found:

So it's called Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD). 
    ODD is a type of disruptive behavior problem in children. Children with ODD often lose their temper, act stubborn and willful, argue, and refuse to follow rules, and may annoy others on purpose. 

I never knew there was a disorder related to stubborness so this was definitely an interesting find.
  • I don't know about any specific disorders but I've had experience where those who are deeply addicted has stopped seeking help, tried to hide their shame or just be all out stubborn about quitting due to the addictive properties of illegal substances. I think certain people with functional sociopathy are quite stubborn as well.
  • I think sometimes being stubborn is just a product of circumstance (upbringing, perhaps) and personality rather than any particular disorder. I know a lot of stubborn, strong willed people, but I wouldn't characterize them as having a disorder based solely on that. But yes, there definitely is a disorder called oppositional defiant disorder which CryingCanary mentioned - from what I know about that one the individual also encounters difficulties with authority figures.
  • I thought I only have ADHD but basing on the description that Crying Canary found, it would seem that I may have had ODD when I was a kid. But seriously, I think that I was just being a brat back then. Behavior can change with just the right environment and upbringing. And most kids are usually stubborn. They do not listen to their elders. But if the child is raised well, then he or she won't be a menace to to others.
  • I think stubbornness in a child is, at a certain point, a result of ineffective parenting. Parents need to be really sensitive about their child's growth. It's best to show the child how things are being done since they tend to imitate the elders. It's also important to show enough affection and also enough effort to show authority.
  • I believe narcissism is one that contributes most to stubbornness. Also maybe growing up without much company contributes as well since people in that situation rarely have to compromise so they don't learn or get to practice that growing up.
  • I would also have to say that Narcissistic Personality Disorder and Anti-Social Personality Disorder (sociopathy) are probably the most closely related official mental illnesses related to stubbornness. Of course, there are other related disorders and traits that can be present in people, such as Sadistic Personality Disorder (sadism), Schadenfredue and Machiavellianism.
  • @Tata That makes a lot of sense that they would feel like the center of the world when they aren't used to being around others. I could see how narcissism would make someone stubborn. They feel like they are always right becasue they don't have anyone to tell the they are wrong.
  • I was stubborn as a child and always wanted to have my way because I thought I knew what was best for me. I was extremely strong willed and found it impossible to heed to other things that contradicted what I thought and believed in.

Unfortunately, I'm visualizing such traits in my little son and I fear it is hereditary. I must admit it must be some form of disorder.
  • @erook7878 I see it a lot in my friends and family who don't have siblings and also I've read about it in the differences in psychology of children who are part of different numbers of siblings as well so I do believe there is some truth to that. Although to be fair to them I don't think it's completely just narcissism or stubbornness but mostly just a bit of unwillingness to compromise which may be a little different. I think all types have their own challenges and this is just theirs.
  • I think its related to your age. The older you get, the more compliant you get and the more your reasoning skills develop. You can still be stubborn but you should be aware of when to stop. Small children are not aware of this and this is why it is mostly reflected by them.
  • I'm gonna go with OCD. If a person has it, he becomes incredibly stubborn on how they do things, even routine stuff like washing hands or turning off the lights. Another possibility is Asperger's Syndrome, which is basically being stuck in an infant phase for the rest of your life, often including traits like inability to make friends, inability to follow simple rules and instructions, and hating change in the environment.