Battling Agoraphobia

I have been battling agoraphobia for almost 3 years now and it is hard when I make plans with my friends or my loved ones, but when the day comes I just don't want to leave my room. Today I had a whole day of fun planned with my best friend, but I felt sick to my stomach at the idea of leaving the house and getting in the car. I just feel so defeated sometimes. 
  • 8 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • @sillylucy ,

I hate that I had to Google agoraphobia to get a better understanding . I'm very sorry you have to deal with this .Is this something a therapist can help with . I'm sure you have already considered that approach . 

I wish I could be of more help . Your posts are always so thoughtful and caring . How can we be more supportive ?

• Must be quite frustrating, I'm not sure how it would be treated but I do think that if you've only had it for three years then it might be possible to overcome it. Was there really anything specific or perhaps a combination of things that brought it on? Things that hadn't happened before it started developing?
  • I have had agoraphobia for quite a time, back when I was younger, however I have experienced an easy phase, I would simply get very anxious when I was in a place with lots of people and lots of open spaces.

At some point I got cured of it, but never did anything to resolve just matter, it just simply came. Maybe you need some psychological assistance.
  • @sillylucy, There will have to come a time when you have to face your fears. What's the worst that could happen? Your bowels give way and you rush to the nearest bathroom. Really, you should remember life is short and the only time to have fun is in your youth. Don't let it pass you by. Take deep breaths constantly when you go out and you'll be fine.
  • I have that too, I get panic attacks whenever I even THINK of going outside to a crowded area. Sometimes, I really have to, though. Like when I'm paying bills, buying groceries, etc. So here's what I do: I group all those things I can do in a day, and do them all. Sure, you take longer to get back home, but it also means you won't have to get out the next day to finish your weekly/monthly tasks. Also, I wear eyeglasses, and it turns dark outside (anti-glare or something), and it kinda acts like a shield against other people. Like a barrier. To top the glasses off, I also wear earphones and listen to music while walking, and only take them off when I have to. It's like having a force field around me, and everyone can't hear or see me. It really helps with the anxiety and panic. Lastly, I take medications, anti-panic medications to be exact, 30 minutes before going out, so the medications will kick in by the time I get out the front door.
  • I like the ideas that OursisTheFury shared. Those are some great tips to help you. Maybe, as others have suggested, you can try talking to someone if you haven't already. There are therapies available to assist you in getting back out. Perhaps even if you have to talk to the counselor on the phone it can help. There are also those here who have dealt with anxiety as you can see from the comments. One thing that the therapist can assist with is finding what triggered your phobia. They can hopefully help you work through it so that you can enjoy outings with friends and family again. I wish the best and know that you always have support here!
  • @sillylucy i'm sorry you are struggling with this....i agree that counseling may help...even hypnosis may help...

i find that planning just little outings at a time helps...like if i have to think about a WHOLE DAY of being out and about...it gives me anxiety. one or two hours? i can handle that....

i also get out on my own some..into nature. to shoot hoops...go walking. it gets me out there....maybe not with people, but OUT.

i do hope you can get some assistance with this.

• I echo the feeling that counseling might help. And embarking on little outings, like Dominica suggested, is the way I would approach it. Baby steps.