Denial and Drinking Problems

Have you ever gone through a situation wherein you are denying your drinking problems? Your desire to drink is so strong to the point that your mind is trying to find ways to rationalize drinking? For instance, you are putting the blame on your demanding boss or your nagging wife for your drinking problem?
  • 8 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • I see this all the time and it is all part of the disease.
  • I'm pretty sure that most people do this. I used to blame my coke use on the fact that I worked too hard. In reality, I was only working so hard because I needed the money for drugs. It's just part of the addiction and we can't really change until we accept that we alone are responsible for our problems, nobody else. 
  • My niece who is a young upcoming professional is successful in the sense that she earns good money and has her own  car. But maybe due to work-related problems and pressure in the job, she would turn to binge drinking once in a while until that binge became a habit. It is now getting to be a problem because no one was advising her against drinking except me.
  • Yes, not rarely have I noticed that my brain tried by any means to condone drinking, but in fact my reason was a lot stronger than whatever thoughts flowed through my mind at the moment. And I'm glad I managed to do this, without too much effort. :)
  • I know some who are like
    this and they blame other things for binge drinking and drinking almost every
    night of the week. Their reasons are work stress, break ups, wives or
    significant others, which are light reasons because these problems can be
    solved without having drink it all away with beer and hard drinks. I think they
    are just finding this as an excuse to drink always and how they are already
    addicted to alcohol and are already having drinking problems. Not only do they
    drink outside but also at home where they have stocks of alcohol in the fridge.
    If they have work and family problems, they should not make alcohol the
    solution but rather have communication with the parties involved so that it
    would be resolved properly and right away. Drinking is not the answer and it
    may make you forget your problems but these problems will still be there the
    next day until we ourselves do something about it.

• I had a cousin whose husband is a binge drinker until it came to the point that he is already into alcohol addiction. And to think that he is not admitting the reason for his drinking problem is his womanizing and is always denying that thing but instead he is always saying that their marital problem is the reason which is not true and he cannot accept the fact that he is always lying to her wife.
  • I am in day two of being sober ... My DH is in denial of his drinking ... I quit for 8 months prior and DH said I wasn't very fun to be around and I caved ... This time it's for myself ... I'm hoping by my example he will follow ... SMILE
  • I think this is a behavior that exists in most people, not just addicts, which is why I assume a lot of people feel anger towards many different groups because they use it as a scapegoat for something they can't help. However, I do agree that it is probably a lot more prevalent and noticeable in addicts as often we try to rationalize what we do just to get by.