Having PTSD attacks? Study shows games may help you.

A few years ago, I was in an anxiety inpatient treatment group for my PTSD and anxiety issues.  During this time, they asked me what it was I did when I felt overwhelmed with my issues, and I told them that I stopped functioning, sat down, and began to play little flash based browser games.  To my surprise, they validated the games as a viable coping skill, and told me that new studies suggested that these games really do help you.  I can't argue, they seemed to. 

The key is that the game must be difficult enough to be engaging, but not so difficult as to be frustrating.  That's why small browser games work best, or phone games.

Here's a link to the study.  :)

• 3 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • I suffered from severe stress and anxiety around 15 years ago. I still do suffer from anxiety but it's far diminished as I learnt to deal with it. And yes, video games definitely do help. I was playing PlayStation games during that period and they definitely helped me make it through the day. 
  • I discovered this on my own a few years ago. I play MMORPG games at home and some specific cross platform games on my phone that are also available for my computer. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
  • interesting! thanks for sharing!