Definition of Depression

I have come across a memoir by Martha Manning entitled "Undercurrents: A Life Beneath the Surface." And it was a story of a woman who has suffered serious bouts of depression, oppressions, and obsession. This is such a powerful storytelling. My favorite lines from this book are these, "Depression is such a cruel punishment. There are no fevers, no rashes, no blood tests to send people scurrying in concern, just the slow erosion of self, as insidious as cancer. And like cancer, it is essentially a solitary experience; a room in hell with only your name on the door." Very true, isn't it? Everyone talks about depression, but hardly anyone understands it, except if you've been through something like this too.
  • 7 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • hi @dyanmarie25! i love memoirs and that looks to be a good read. for one feeling depression, that pretty much sums it up.  i can look back on the depression i suffered and understand more why it occurred (childhood wounds, neglect, poor choices, etc.) and the internal suffering was intense, but i also saw how it facilitated my awakening or spiritual growth. of course, during the bouts of depression i couldn't see a thing but darkness. today, i can empathize with others and offer encouragement while they are in the dark night of the soul...offer hope. for me, it was a slow erosion of self (ego), but that introduced me to something greater and more powerful! Love for myself and others. authentic and innocent Love (God, Source, Buddha, whatever people call it)... :) thanks for sharing.
  • It's almost impossible to put it into words... the way someone could begin to understand. She did a wonderful job getting that idea across
  • Interesting quote! And I can agree with her, depression is something so hard to explain but you know that is there, you can't see it but you can feel it, you can't really notice when someone is depressed but it's something that is eating a part of that person essence. One time I read a similar quote, it said that "depression is like being drowned, but you can see how other people are breathing carelessly", I guess is truth.
  • This is a definition I wish more people would eventually come to understand. And I believe it should most definitely be more understood among adolescents and young adults. Some may assume it's a phase when there can very well be a serious underlying issue at hand, and ends up being swept under the rug. For some of the online friends I've spoken to in the past, I could tell they were serious about their situations.
  • True, people can talk and try to understand this all they want but they never will unless they have actually experienced this themselves. Otherwise no matter how many hours they have dedicated to study psychology and other similar things, they will not get it. 
  • Thanks for sharing! That can be the next on my reading list. I like how the author give her extended meaning on depression. And what you have said is really true, you would only know it if you experienced it.
  • Depression is certainly one of those ambivalent conditions and situations in life. At some point you understand where it's coming from, but then something hits you again, making you unsure of yourself, the people around you, where you're going and your reason for existing. It comes and it goes and only truly resilient people can manage to emerge from it unscathed. Others get a little help from loved ones and experts, while there are those who just continue to spiral downward, oblivious to the help they're receiving.