Off the Wall Ways to Have Fun Sober

If you’ve spent any amount of time in recovery you’ve probably asked yourself or others how in the world you’ll occupy your time in sober ways when drugs or alcohol seemed to consume so much of your time before or be enmeshed into your lifestyle completely. We know you’ve probably read some exhaustive lists of things to do sober to add some fun back into your life of recovery but we’d like to share some off the wall ideas to help you kill boredom and get some (healthy) thrill in your life back!

Sober Cruise: First up on our list of fun are sober cruises. This one might take a little advance planning and saving some cash but if you can scrounge up the cash to do this, you won’t regret it! Find more information at www.sobercruises.com

Rock Climbing: Rock climbing is gaining followers and is not accessible in many local gyms around the country. If you’re not able to get outside and do this where you live, check out a local gym and find out how fun and thrilling rock climbing can be!

Learn to Invest: many people mistake investing as something only rich people do, couldn’t be further from the truth! Now that you have some serious free time on your hands, what better way to spend it than by learning how to better your future through investing! Find more information athttp://www.wisebread.com/158-free-investment-classes-from-morningstar-earn-rewards-while-you-learn

From investing to cruises, you never know what the future holds until you go after it. If you’re in recovery, you don’t have to sit at home bored watching all the fun pass you up, you just have to try new things to find out what you like, what you don’t like, and ultimately what you’re passionate about. Once you learn these things about yourself, you won’t draw so many blanks about fun things to do!

Reference
Shores, M. “Friday Night Pep-Talk: 100 Things to do Sober”. Sober Courage. (Website). July 2011

• 4 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • I've said it before and I'll say it again: Being sober is only as dull and boring as you make it! :)
  • Yes there are many ways to have fun sober.  

Just googling for a list of interesting hobbies, and picking and learning one or two can be life changing.  
  • great post. yes, being sober does not have to be boring!

there are hundreds of things to do... see... learn... googling for a list of options is a great way to see what you may be interested in!!

my newest hobby is dancing... having moved to louisiana..well, ya just gotta learn to zydeco! :) 
  • I've recently rediscovered dance.... mostly to trance music and shamanic drumming, and I let it all out... I recommend it to all