You Don’t Have to be a Victim: Here’s How to Take on a New Role

Anyone can be a victim. You can be a victim of a crime, a victim of addiction, or just a victim in life in general. If there’s one thing most people are likely to agree on, it’s that being a victim is unpleasant. It’s not a good feeling, it can leave you open to many uncomfortable feelings.

It’s not that ditching the victim role and starting a new life is as simple as one, two, three, but it doesn’t have to be impossible. With a little bit of knowledge, understanding, and the drive to move forward, you can give up victimhood and take back your power. 

Taking back your power can relate to all aspects of your life and it’s the first step in creating a life that you want to live instead of living life in a role that doesn’t feel good to you. Let’s decide to go from where we are at right now to where we want to be in the future. 

When we make that decision, we decide to take responsibility for ourselves and our futures. This is a key aspect of ditching victimhood.  Now, no one else is responsible for where we are now, just us. Now that we have that power, we’re ready to take on a new role and create a new future exactly the way we want it, because only we are responsible for it. 

When you’re at this point, now it’s time to learn more about ourselves, our reactions, the way we normally handle situations. Understanding yourself is key to being able to stop your initial reaction and respond in a way that is conducive for meeting your new goals. Everything you do, think or say should be aimed at helping yourself reach these new goals, define your new role, and achieve the life you really want to live. 
Before you know it, victimhood will be nothing but a view in your rear-view mirror, just keep moving forward, we know you can!

Reference
Cabelly, H. “How to Stop Being a Victim and Start Creating Your Life”. Tiny Buddha. (Website). 2016

• 2 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • great post.  for years i had a victim mentality and i didn't realize it.  it wasn't until i started reading out it that i could admit that i had it. stemmed all the way from childhood.... 

if you're an adult child of an alcoholic, having a victim mentality may be something you struggle with... or if you've been abused or are being abused...

there are many great books and blogs to read in order to learn how to heal and become empowered.... 

we are worthy...and we don't have to live in shame. 

and what we want matters... 

here's a link to another great article on the topic:

• Great post, @FriendlyAdvice. I grew up with an alcoholic father and, as @dominica suggested is possible, I struggled with having a victim mentality for a looooong time. It's only been in the last four or five years that I've managed to overcome that. I finally took control of my life and left the victimization part in my past. It was so liberating!