Call from my "Guy"

Some of y'all know that last year I came here and got sober for about 7 months . Then one day , while feeling particularly "Celebratory" , I grabbed a 6 pack , which led to 3 6 packs . That started a cycle of "Yo-yoing " Drunk a couple weeks , sober a couple weeks , etc , etc. Until for about a 2 month stretch it was just Drunk.
I came back here last month with my hat in my hand . But I also felt like I needed something extra . I reached out to a "Guy" with 10 years under his belt . We've been talking about 4 times a week . And I keep telling him how disappointed I am that I can "Get Sober fairly easy " but " Always lose the long term focus ".
So he called me this morning and told me I can't think about what happened last time , or the time before that anymore . None of that is relevant to today , and today only . I think I get too hung up on worrying about tomorrow . The sun rises and sets no matter what happens . I just have to make the most out of it .
  • 7 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • @TWSJ first, i'm so glad you came back cuz we missed you :) 

second, i'm glad you reached out to someone who can mentor and keep you accountable. that's awesome!

third, he may be right.... the past and the future steal so much of our thought life..and it usually doesn't make us feel a bit better.  (unless we are thinking something good)

so, yes, one day at a time really is powerful. each morning when you wake up.... say, TODAY IS MY FOCUS. TODAY I WILL STAY SOBER. BE A GOOD MAN BEST AS I CAN. LOVE MY PEEPS. SMILE. DO THINGS THAT MAKE ME SMILE, EVEN IF THAT'S JUST PET THE DOG. ;) TODAY IS THE DAY GOD MADE FOR ME (IF YOU BELIEVE IN GOD) OR SOURCE OR COSMOS.. TODAY I'M GOING TO SAY HI TO MY TRAIN PEEPS ON THE FORUM. TODAY I AM LOVED. TODAY...TODAY. TODAY. 

i imagine that type of thought will affect your tomorrow... by the way :)

happy you are here TODAY.
  • I think your "Guy" had given you some great advice, @TWSJ. I believe that living in the moment--right here, right now, TODAY--is the key to a lot of things. Worrying about what happened "the last time" or what might happen in the future robs us of the peace and tranquility of today. And we NEED the peace and tranquility of today. Otherwise our lives will always be chaotic.

Glad you're back here, my friend. :)
  • At the risk of offending some , yes , I believe in God . You know how us Southern Folks are about the man upstairs . And my "Guy" is a believer that faith is an important part of the gig . But I wouldn't tell any non-believers that you can't get sober without God . That's a personal preference for each individual .
    Yes , staying on the @Tommy express !
    Thanks for being a "Guy" !
  • @Twsj, you are proof in the power of determination, finding methods and people that work, and good old fashioned southern stubbornness.

I think part of the problem with people that return to their addiction, be it alcohol or something else, is that they still think there is something to be gained, or by thinking "this time I can control the monster". For whatever reason, they play with fire, and get burnt. I don't know if there is an easy solution. It's easy to say, "You don't need it". And even easier to say, "You'll shoot your eye out"...er...I mean "It will be just like the other times, ok for a bit then the spiral into disaster".

Just for debate and conversation: While I concur with the sentiment of living for today, the power of a good solid plan for the future and to learn from our mistakes shouldn't be dismissed. There is, or course a fine line between learning and dwelling, just as there is an equally fine line between planning and worrying. Everyone has a different threshold for each, as evidenced by the common exchange between me and my wife where I tell her, "you worry too much", usually before I go and do something that she claims, "Isn't well thought out".
  • Where would we be without our wives ? I tell my wife I have no idea how I survived the first 26 years of life with out her guidance . 21 years later and she is still teaching me . Maybe I'll get it one day .
  • @TWSJ you are getting it now!! :) TODAY! ;)
  • @TWSJ... Amen to the "Where would we be without our wives?" question. My wife is my rock and my best friend. I can't even imagine where I would be without her. Coming up on 29 years of marriage this November. I feel blessed every single day. :)