Tramadol to sleep

I have a herniated disc which has been causing me a lot of pain for the last 2 months. I haven't been able to get a good nights sleep in a long time because of the pain. My doctor prescribed me Tramadol to try and sleep better. I've yet to try it. I'm also just coming off years of smoking weed and drinking. I'm afraid of replacing one addiction with another. I know the doctor should know what is appropriate, and I did tell him of my recent addictions. I'm also a bit worried to get reliant on something to be able to sleep. The hernia may take up to a year to heal, thats a long time to be taking pain or sleeping medication.
  • 3 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • The thing is, he wouldn't have prescribed it if you don't need it. Sleep is essential for you to heal. It isn't being prescribed as a sleeping aid, it is to relieve pain, to enable you to sleep better. Could you maybe make a deal with yourself that you'll only take it once every few days? 
  • I think you're right. I did tell him about my addiction issues so he wouldn't have prescribed it if he thought it would harm me more than help. I'm so sick of not sleeping well, I'm going to try one tonight. Thanks for the response.
  • I tried the Tramadol last night but it didn't really help me sleep at all. However I still felt tired from it the next day. I don't think I will be taking this every night. I might try it once more to see if this was maybe a fluke.