Reasons to Consider Getting Sleeping Pills

There are many over the counter sleep aids out there that someone who is having trouble sleeping can get. These sleep aids might be perfectly fine for the occasional sleepless night, but for those who have chronic sleeplessness, there are prescription sleeping pills. Almost everyone has had trouble sleeping from time to time. The causes can be stress, noise or even an uncomfortable bed. Before seeking a doctor’s help with sleeplessness, all causes should be investigated.

Make sure the room where you sleep is dark and quiet. The room should also be cool, not warm. Avoid any caffeine or afternoon naps. Regular exercise during the day can help minimize stress. If all these fail, it’s time to seek medical intervention. If a prescription sleeping pill is prescribed to you, it is imperative to go over any side effects of that medication. Be aware there are often serious side effects that can allow some people to sleep drive, sleep walk or even sleep eat. Worsening depression or changes in behavior can also sometimes occur. Any side effect should be brought to your doctor’s attention so an alternative medication can be explored.

There are many prescription sleeping pills on the market. The non-Benzodiazepines (Z-Drugs) are: Zolpidem (Ambien), Eszopiclone (Lunesta), Zaleplon (Sonata), Ramelteon (Rozerem). There are also sedative antidepressants, such as Trazodone (Desyrel), Amitriptyline (Elavil) or Doxepin (Sinequan). The medication prescribed for you will depend on the reason you can’t sleep. There could be a medical reason for your insomnia that another medical intervention could alleviate. Some sleep medications are short term, while others can be taken for longer periods of time. Some medications help you fall asleep while others also help you stay asleep. Almost all prescription sleep medications have the potential to lead to dependence on that drug.

Insomnia is a condition that affects your mental state. When taking a prescription sleep medication it is imperative to take the medication only as your doctor has prescribed. Any question of dependency on that medication needs to be dealt with immediately with your physician.

Reference

N.A. “Prescription Sleeping Pills: What’s Right For You?” Mayo Clinic (Website). (2015).
  • 6 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • It's worth noting that an adequate amount of sleep is esesntial for good mental health. Therefore, it might be worth considering an occasional dose of medication if you have chronic insomnia. I have been prescribed zopiclone, but only ever take one if I've had 3 nights in a row where I've slept 4 hours or less. Having a rule like this in place really helps me keep my usage in check. 
  • "Be aware there are often serious side effects that can allow some people to sleep drive, sleep walk or even sleep eat." 

I have never heard of these side effects.  How scary, to take a prescription and experience a far worse condition!

missbishi
    I like your outlook and actions of dealing with your chronic insomnia.  It sounds like, you understand the pros and cons of taking your
    prescribed zopiclone, on a need only basis, under the guidance of your physcian without gaining an addiction.
  • Like you say, occasionally I might consider it, if I was going through serious troubles, but I would never consider them for the long run. As far as I see it they are a dangerous substance and I would prefer looking for alternatives.
  • I actually disagree with the OP in that I think if you have a chronic problem sleeping you need to consider other things like exercise and diet changes.  I do keep sleeping pills on hand but that is only for 1 night very infrequently if my sleep pattern gets whacked up because of having to work an extra long shift.  I use the pill to get back on pattern.
  • I only use sleeping pills when I truly need them.  But only after many long nights of no sleep.  I don't like to use them more often than that!  I'm kinda afraid to use those after the bad experiences I've had with that kind of pills in the past, plus I noticed the sleep i got after taking things like clonazepam didn't make me feel so well.

I noticed that some pills (in the past) actually seemed to make it harder for me to get up in the morning. But not like when you are having a naturally good night of sleep and just can't get up, more like a ''I'm very sedated''. So unnatural.
  • I've never actually been prescribed sleeping pills for anything. I have had battles with insomnia before, but I've always tried to remedy it in more natural ways. I find that really tiring myself out physically works the best, so a late evening workout, a shower and then bed tends to get me asleep fast! Also a few drops of lavender essential oil on my pillow helps too - I read a while back that the scent of lavender helps with sleep and I do find that it relaxes me a lot!