Teens romanticizing depression?

Nowadays, teenagers tend to romanticize depression. It has already become popular to the young ones and sometimes they refer to this case on social media sites as "beautiful sadness." This has already been a new trend specially to teenage girls who are now glorifying self-harm, self-destruction, anxiety, anorexia, bulimia, and even suicide. This is totally disturbing. Depression should not be embraced, but to be beaten.

What is your opinion about this?

• 21 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • Ah yes, I suppose you've been to Tumblr recently. There are a lot of teens that go through this phase. I wouldn't be surprised if modern media consumption has anything to do with it. I have found at least, that depression, being rebelious, psychopathy or sociopathy, anarchy, and nihilism are popular and fashionable in the mainstream media.

What it basically boils down to I think, is that depression is popular to those teenagers and other people who really haven't experienced what true depression is. True depression is crippling, it's not something to be celebrated. Teenage hormones and immaturity may also play a part in this phenomenon.

A nice example of teenagers' rude awakening from romanticizing to experiencing reality was during world war I. Teenagers from both sides of the conflict, most notably those from France and Germany participated in drafts because they thought the notion of war, of fighting for the honor of your country, was very romantic. After several days of being bombarded, of being fired at with the newly invented machine guns, and fighting in blood and feces-soaked trenches a lot of those young men had nervous breakdowns and were never the same again.

• Social media makes all of these things worse, and I know exactly what you're talking about. It doesn't make much sense, but, then again, teenagers rarely make sense or know what they're really doing to themselves anyways. Just because a teenager is sad doesn't mean they should get all idealistic about it. Most teenagers don't even know what true depression is, although some of them obviously know exactly what it is. 
  • Though we understand there's such a thing as clinical depression but the depression that's currently engulfing a great chunk of the teenage population does not make a lick of sense. It all boils down to bad parenting, a culture that's taking a turn for the worse and lack of innate self-preservation. If only parents would stop being permissive if not neglectful. I doubt values education is still being taught at primary schools in liberal countries like America.
  • Wow. It's a good thing that I stay away from Tumblr. It seems overly saturated by teens who have no understanding of the true ramifications of actual depression. 

It has nothing to do with liberal or conservative ideals because I've seen both ends of the spectrum. Helicopter parents who think everything is wrong with their kids and conservative parents who tell kids to suck it up and man up. There is no manning up with depression. It's a constant fight and there are days that people need to get support and encouragement rather than a curt 'man up.' 

Then Hollywood sells certain viewpoints which makes the situation worse because it sells that people should be a certain way and that what Hollywood sees as real is how the rest of the world should be. 
  •  Same here, I don’t get
    it why they glorify depression, sadness and being emotional. It is given that
    teens and adolescents are in a phase where some of them are troubled or they
    are having an identity crisis, but the media should not add more to the flame
    and they must show things that can help teens overcome these problems and this
    difficult phase. I am pro of those that show teen life as happy and a phase of
    learning and firsts. First love, first heartbreak, first crush and all those
    mushy stuff compared to those sadness and emotional things they show in
    mainstream media.

• Almost every teen I've seen condones depression, and integrates it as part of their life. It's sad that they make these choices based on nothing but appreciation of their entourage, but luckily it doesn't last for a long time because there comes a time when they will have to detach themselves from their comfort zone, and parents at the same time, and gain their existence. Although it's a momentary phase, it's still dangerous because they also tend to hurt themselves, and sometimes even commit suicide, so I think parents should get involved in their children's lives and monitor their Internet behaviour; the dangers of it are unlimited.
  • I think it is partially a way to seek attention. Also with kids and teenagers when they see other people doing or saying things they just kind of hop on the band wagon. But the result could be dangerous or cause permanent scars that they will regret later. 
  • Here's an interesting article about the topic - it is a couple of years old but still very relevant:

I also think it's very much an attention thing -- the psychologist quoted in the article makes this point:

“People use the word ‘depression’ if they can’t find their keys, or if they've had a fight with their mother or father, or if they’ve had an argument with their boyfriend or girlfriend, if they didn’t make the school team or didn’t do well on an exam.”
  • Honestly, I think it’s detrimental and kind of insulting to the teens who suffer real, full-blown depression. Well, it's detrimental/insulting to anyone of any age who has ever suffered from it, but seeing as teens are pretty likely to be seen as crying wolf, I feel for those teens with real, diagnosable depression. It could really go either way; they could be seeking help and getting dismissed as yet another one of those teens who are just romanticizing depression. Or they could avoid seeking help because they DON’T want to be viewed as attention-seeking, or romanticizing, or crying wolf. Depression is something that should really not be considered a fashion accessory.
  • @LittleCowprint Very well said. That's also my sentiments.
  • I agree with what you say littlecow, but at the same time I do feel that some teens seen depression as something a little romantic. In fact is not and we should fight it as hard as we can.
  • I agree that depression is romanticized amongst adolescents.  I believe it has a lot to do with the media.  Many of their idols, those in the music industry, kind of glamorize it albeit this is probably unintentional.    
  • That's true and it's very common among adolescents, which is why parents need to be careful and it's really sad. I think all what they see on TV, Media and on the news just affects them. We really need to be cautious to not make the generation of the little ones sink down and for them to struggle in life because of others.
  • I agree with you, there is no need to romanticize an illness like depression or anorexia/bulimia as some young people do but I guess they do it to draw other’s people attention… although is not them who self-harm to just show their cuts/burns, people in general and mostly young people should stop thinking this way.
  • This is a double-edged sword, really. On one hand, teens that are fighting depression feel much comfortable with themselves knowing that there are a lot of people that share the same feelings. On the other hand, teenagers simply like to grieve just because it's "mainstream" and there's no harm in it. They don't know the consequences until it's too late and they have a serious mental problem.
  • I find those graphic quotes (pictures) making references to suicide really disturbing, I have seen a lot of those in Tumblr.   Most of them made it seem as if the owner of that Tumblr profile was ready to jump off a bridge, she was a 17 year old girl, by the way. I think it's crazy those girls kinda celebrate the fact they do feel miserable. 

I'd be so nervous if I were the parent of a teenager growing  during these hard times.  kids todays are not the way they were when I was younger...
  • @LittleCowprint It's necessary just for one person to "launch an idea" and everyone will follow it. I personally find it insulting to the people who actually have issues rather than those little dad's girls who "suffer from a 3-day relationship breakup." I feel that today's principles are upside down. If there are any more principles left of course...
  • The young people I work with seem very keen on mental health, they have great talks with each other about positive mental health that I would never have had when I was a teen.
    I am going to keep an eye out for this trned, and try to stop it if I can in my own little way.
  • For the majority it's just hormones, man. Writing poetry, wearing black and using make-up is a method of experimentation. But there are a few of them out there who really are clinically depressed so it might be best not to treat depression so lightly. Mental health isn't a joke. Cheers.
  • Yes, hormones do play a big role, but the action of the parents also. Parents need to be close enough to their kids to give a hand if necessary. 
  • That's not new. Teenagers have been thinking that they lived the worst time in their life since at least decades, and we've got music and movies to show us that angst is not a new fad.

Hormones probably play a large hand in it, yes, in confusing people with tons of changes etc... But I think on top of that, there is this allure to it. It makes you "deep" and "complex". You feel something and you feel it big. Every day is the end of the world. It has something "grand" to it. And nobody can ever contradict it because they just don't know how you feel. Being misunderstood is such a big part of it.