Your Recovery Action Plan

Have you thought much about your personal recovery action plan lately? You probably have the basics down already. Starting somewhere along the lines of an inpatient/outpatient treatment program, sober living, and moving onto independent living, right? Or maybe you've decided to take the self-help route and do things a little bit differently.

One way or another your general plan should first include detox and learning the ropes of sobriety and moving on from active recovery to maintaining sobriety, right? That's right but where many go wrong is by not laying the groundwork for a solid recovery action plan. 

Of course, things don't always go according to plan and your plan won't be set in stone, it'll be just flexible enough to keep you on track and headed in the right direction with wiggle room for adjustments according to changes in circumstances, goals, and other factors. 

Just like a budget is deciding how you'll spend money before it's actually spent, your action plan should detail how you'll spend your time before it's actually spent. Remember, accounting for your time in recovery is an important step to help keep you on the right track with long term sobriety.

To get started, try right a list of your goals for recovery. From making it your first year sober to getting that promotion at work, try to right down a list of things you hope to accomplish in your new healthier lifestyle. Next, try writing out the steps you'll need to take to accomplish each goal.

It's okay if your notes turn into chaos right now, you can always go back and adjust later. The important thing is to get it all out into view in front of you so you can see the big picture. Sometimes just seeing the big picture is enough to give you the big boost you need to start accomplishing those goals!

Reference
N.D. “Developing A Personal Action Plan For Addiction Recovery: Useful Tips” Mental Help (website) 

• 7 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • Navigating the road to recovery can definitely be easier if you have a plan. Thanks for posting!
  • Foresight is smart... know that in recovery you're going to be faced with temptations at times...you will have triggers... how will you handle them??

• I have tried several times AA, Celebrate Recovery, Online....I really want to stop...been drinking for 40 years.  Even though its not a daily thing, I always drink too much when I do and I feel like I do it to punish myself...I must not have a good self esteem.  I want to get to the bottom of this and quit...:)  Thank you for this post...I need to get working on a plan!
  • @PamO... Have you tried SMART Recovery? It might be worth a shot. Also, there's a book called The Easy Way to Stop Drinking (by Allen Carr) that @Leaker recommends highly. You might want to check that out as well.

We're here for you, my friend. To help and support you however we can. You are not alone.
  • I have been summoned...

@pamo, perhaps it is the self esteem issue. If so, then recognizing that and realizing it is a strong step. It might involve treating that, maybe even some therapy, as opposed to the symptom of drinking too much.

You might also be rationalizing your drinking. "It's not every day, so it isn't that big of a deal" or something. The definition I use for an alcoholic is someone who can't cope with their level of intake. It sounds like that is the case for you, so maybe just admitting that will help you look at the drinking from a frame of reference that will lead to success.

I think no matter the method used, recovery requires a lot of reflection, at times some painful truths, and internalizing some new ways of thinking about things. The path to freedom is not mechanically working a set of steps to the satisfaction of someone else, or saying, "Yup, pitcher plant. Got it. Booze is bad", it's about challenging assumptions, even things that one has believed their whole life, and eventually figuring out what is truly right for them, which leads to a level of intake that they can cope with.
  • Thanks for your insight, @Leaker! :)