The Misconception of Spirituality In Recovery

In recovery, it’s hard to ignore spirituality. With many professionals touting the effectiveness of faith based recovery programs and many if not most support groups being faith based. For some people though, this can be off putting. Whether they just aren’t ready to accept or believe in one religion or they’ve already decided against religion, the whole idea of spirituality in recovery can be a deterrent for those wishing to get into a program or get sober and recover.

Well, today we’re here to talk about the misconception surrounding spirituality in recovery. When it comes to spirituality, you shouldn’t feel confined to any set religion, organization, or thought process. Instead you should feel free and open to practice or find a connection with any spirit, way of being, or thought process that you find truly satisfying and fulfilling.

What this connection is supposed to provide you with is an approach to healing, from addiction, from whatever troubles you face. Connecting with your spirituality doesn’t have to mean joining a church or finding god, although that’s what it may mean for some people. But each person is unique, each addiction is unique, and each healing process, recovery, and journey to connecting with a spiritual life that suits you will be unique.

As Betsy Koelser, Co-Founder of Clearing has said, ”spirituality is your own very personal relationship with the Divine, however that may manifest in your life.” Take spirituality for what it means to you. Take it and run with it on your journey to sobriety and life-long recovery. You alone hold the power to make that connection and let it lead your recovery on a successful path. No one else has to define this for you, let it be everything you need it to be.

Reference
McGraw, C. “Do I Really Need Spirituality in Recovery?”. The Clearing. (website). October 2016
  • 3 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • everyone is on their own journey....and i think we should all let people discover their own path..and support it no matter what it is. as long as it's not hurting them or another. :)

thanks for sharing.
  • @KeeToSobriety... Thanks for sharing. I love this part of the post:

"When it comes to spirituality, you shouldn’t feel confined to any set religion, organization, or thought process. Instead you should feel free and open to practice or find a connection with any spirit, way of being, or thought process that you find truly satisfying and fulfilling."

That is so true. You can be highly spiritual without being religious. I know, because I am. :)
  • I agree whole heartedly . Religion and Spirituality are entirely different concepts . And I think way too many people don't understand that the difference .