How to fight in the moment

So I have been clean from cronic use for a while I have slipped up here an there I do everything I can try to stay busy work a lot which is good but there is the rare weekends my kids are on vacation with their mom or something and those are the tuffest times. I can do good but when I mess up I know its like I cant stop my body from going to find it. I know its wrong and I know I shouldnt and it feels like im getting torn apart before I use. Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do to stop it.
  • 4 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • @Sway2832, I surly DO feel your struggle! I like the way you put it, too, "Chronic use" has virtually stopped, but, my,"call of the wild" is still happening! I'm playing around with herb supplements and am sooo unsatisfied! And with my addictive ways...it can't end well.
    Thanks for coming in. There are a lot of ideas here and good people. I figure if I just keep trying more positive ways and even if I slip, just keep trying and knowing being clean and sober is best, maybe THAT will be what happens for me!
    Good luck in your recovery, take care of YOU, and keep your family in the forefront! Let us know how you are doing, cause, I can use all the insight out there, too!
  • @Sway2832 ;Hello and welcome to the Forum. I'm super glad that you're here and sharing with us. Many of us have felt that struggle before. It is good that The Chronic use is gone. Recovery is a learned process. Sobriety and clean time is a process. It is toughest when you find yourself alone . are you up for attending I support group or 12-step group ? that added support may help you during those times when you find yourself alone and struggling. Have you ever been to a support group or 12-step group? 

We are here to support you in any way that we can. There's a lot of great information on this website so please take some time and read Around. You can post new threads at any time .

I'm glad that you are on the road to recovery. Be patient with yourself . if you relapse just keep getting up and starting again. It can take awhile and the Cravings can take a while to go away. 

Hope to keep seeing you around here in the Forum
  • @sway2832, welcome.

What you describing is pretty common. I call it, "the monster". It is the part of your brain that foregoes all the rational thoughts, all the plans for the future, all the health concerns, and just wants to use. It will be perfectly happy letting your whole life collapse, as long as the use can be maintained.

The way that helped me was to see addiction and the compulsion to use as a monster, then realize that it will always be there, but to pay it no mind. Sure, easy to say, difficult to do. I got to a point where I could tell the part of my brain that wanted alcohol more than life itself, "You have no power over me". It took a while to get there, and I don't know an easy way to do it, sadly. It takes conviction that moving beyond the addiction is the right thing, the ability to not ever doubt that decision, and a whole lot of knowing one's Self. It will involve changes to outlook, routine, and lifestyle, maybe even leaving friends or hobbies behind if you find you truly don't enjoy them, that they were just an excuse to use.

It's all so easy to say, but not so easy to figure out and get through.

Keep the faith!
  • Welcome to the community, @Sway2832. We are here to help and support you--or just listen--anytime you need us. So don't hesitate to reach out and lean on us, okay? 

Congrats on your recovery and don't worry too much about the slip-ups. It's about progress, not perfection. If you slip-up, just get up, brush yourself off, and get back on the right path again.

Sending you tons of positive energy. So glad you're here!