STEP 2 Study: Come to believe...

So, @Tommy... Step 2 is in order to look at:

"Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

I know for me, left to my own devices...my own ego...and ways... I can end up in a mess. Even if it's just an emotional mess, left to my own that can easily happen. 

For me step 2 is very important and something I have to remind myself of quite often. The belief that something greater than myself can keep me sane. Or can help me in whatever way I need. I used to be a lot stronger in my faith in a higher power, but over the years sometimes that waned some.

Step 2 always gives me hope that I'm not alone and that there is something or someone or some force that can help me and whatever way I need. If it's an addiction, it gives me hope that I can get free with a higher Powers help. If it's something like despair or an emotional issue , it gives me hope that I'm not alone and can receive help to overcome. 

Many people think that a higher power has to be God. But God means many things to different people. And for one person a higher power could be the recovery group or a book. It could be the wind blowing through the trees or Angels or Buddha or fill in the blank. 

What does Step 2 mean for you?

• 10 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • So, I will be argumentative again, but then (maybe) insightful. So, overall, tolerable?

Step 1 was a no-start for me due to the "powerless" portion, followed closely by Step 2 saying that someone else was going to solve my problems, or so I interpreted it. To say it as offensively as possible (because I am a jerk), no man in the sky got me into my problem, so no man in the sky was going to get me out. Or woman, or multi-armed elephant-ish creature or flying spaghetti monster or whatever.

So, for the insightful part, I talk a lot about faith in my postings. On the other side of my recovery, it could be argued that that was the key. Sure, it was faith in myself to fix myself, and an unwillingness to admit I couldn't be the change I wanted to be, but also faith in others to support me, and mostly faith that I could do it, and I was doing the right thing for myself and my future. Reflecting back on it, as I have often done, maybe that is the key to an agnostic and non-spiritual recovery, realizing that the "higher power" of Step 2 is just the belief that life can and will be better beyond the addiction.
  • @Leaker thank you for sharing. i see your point.... i've seen those with faith in a higher power and those with faith in themselves get and stay sober and clean. different strokes for different folks.. :)  

i've subscribed to both camps... and teeter between the two at times. i do think when it  comes to the steps, if worked wholeheartedly, they can really benefit people... 
  • Hello dear ones. This is a touchy subject. There are 2 things I will not argue with anyone over. Thats religion and politics!! I will let people have their beliefs. I have mine. And we can agree to disagree. However a good debate is always good. No one person knows everything. We all have our strengths and our weakness.Therefore if I can remain open minded enough, maybe the other person has a legit point? I have found in this program, we share our experience, strength and hope. I will take what I need. Leave the rest. Now.... lol..... I agree powerless is a strong word. But for me, I could not stop drinking. The desire or compulsion was stronger than my will. I could not beat it on my own. Like a disease of some sort. I needed someone, or something bigger than the disease. Suppose you are chained to a truck. On a giant hill. And it is in neutral. rolling down the hill. There is no amont of will power, or positive thinking, that will save me from that!! I need a higher power. Say a bulldozer pushing back from the front. Long enough to me to unchain myself. We can soften it. But the truth for me is, left to my own devices. I cannot stay sober. I have been in AA 30 years. And have seen it many times over. My Higher Power is God. And God alone. I believe He is our Heavenly Father. And He want the best for us. But like children do, we think we know better. And can do it our way. Do I believe God will provide my needs? Yes. Hower,if I am hungry,and go in a closet and pray for food. A hotdog will not roll under the door. I must get a job. Buy the food. Cook it. I must do my part. So I do believe God will help me with recovery. But He wont do it for me. But He will put the people in my life to help me. My story is a bit different. I had 3 treatment centers. Hundreds of AA meetings. And a 10 year yoyo recovery. Until everybody and everything was gone. I was left all alone drunk for DAYS. My own mother threw in the towel. Told me I was a drunk. And never be anything else. I woke up one sunday morning at 4am. Started back drinking till the sun came up. I cried out to God. PLEASE help me. And continued to drink. At 10am I went to a little church on a hill. Stinking falling down drunk. A lady took me in and sat with me. I do not remember much. But when the preacher had the invitation, I was the first one down there. I accepted Jesus into my heart that day. I was completely delivered from alcohol that moment. August 18th 1996. I have not had a drink since. The desire was GONE. An my life was changed forever. Couple days it will be 21 years. So do I believe in a Higher Power. You better know it. And I will tell anyone who will listen. I WILL NOT thumb the Bible. Nor ram it down your throat. Thats just what I believe.
  • @Tommy ;What a beautiful testimony Tommy. Thank you so much for sharing that. It brought tears to my eyes , as I saw the disease of alcoholism defeated through a loving woman who sat with you on one of your darkest days , and a loving higher power who delivered you from the craving to drink. That is so powerful and that day I do believe you were touched by God.

I agree with you that we should let everyone have their own Journey and beliefs on this journey. We are a diverse people. And if believing in a higher power or God helps someone to give up alcohol or drugs, I think that's amazing. And if someone believes that there is no God, and it's up to them to stop drinking or drug in, I think that's great too. Whatever works .

so happy that you have been sober for so many years Tommy. That is quite remarkable!
  • Thank you @dominica I sure hope i did not offend anyone. I get very passionate and emotional every year around this time. I think back to how things were. And the complete misery and demoralation that i lived in for so many years. I am so grateful to have the life I have now. I learned through meetings that I cannot brow beat people into believing. Everyone must find their own higher power. Like you said, a book. The program. Or belief in themselves. But that does not stop me from trying!! Not that I care what people think. Its just the pure happiness and joy i have found, I truly want others to have it too!!
    So, to me. Step one is believing I am not able to change on my own. I am powerless over alcohol. It had me beaten.
    Step 2. There is a power greater than me. I am not the cats meow I thought I was. There is someone, or something far greater than me. And I came to believe, that power could help me to change.
    I sure hope we get more hits on our study. Because I love to see the steps in action. 
  • @tommy, concur, I hope to see more perspectives too. I have admittedly scoffed the 12 Steps, and am not shy about it, but it is great to see other perspectives, and I am learning a lot in the process.

Never apologize for your passion, especially a passion that has helped you so much. Your belief and conviction might be just the thing to convince someone else to take the plunge and follow in your footsteps to improving their life.
  • @all posting above - my sentiments align largely with what leaker has posted, but I am also not gonna say what has worked for others is not the way to go. The ‘ol 12 steps has represented a point of rebellion for me, and the claim that it’s not a religious approach while referring a ‘higher power’ has irked me to no end in the past. That’s just me complaining and I could go on and on about why that hasn’t been a route or solution I’ve wanted to explore further than just scraping the surface.

My recovery feels very different this time though, and if I’m following steps through a natural progression, then so be it. The title of this thread drew me in though, because I am currently awaiting the time when I believe, when I am convinced enough to trust myself that I am actually, really done with drinking. I’ve known why, and that I should be for many years, but I’ve never before actually made the leap...it’s been so many attempts that didn’t come to fruition that I won’t believe it’s really done until enough evidence stacks up that I can no longer deny it as a fact of life.

Looking forward to it, but I’m not there yet.
  • You will get there, @HulkZmash. You will get there.
  • @HulkZmash you're the hero of your very own journey... whatever that journey looks like, it's ok!! glad you're here and on this self-discovery path!